TN: 2016 Domaine Jean-Marie Haag Pinot Gris Zinnkoepflé

I don’t buy Alsatian wines often but as I recently found a source for Roulot’s l’Abricot and wanted to get the shipping costs down I looked through the wine selection and noticed the very affordable Grand Crus of Jean-Marie Haag. I know absolutely nothing about this producer but apparently they are located in the south in a lesser known village called Soultzmatt.

Apparently Zinnkoepflé is especially suitable for Gewurztraminer and Pinot Gris with only 15% of the area planted with Riesling and based on what’s in the glass I cannot disagree with that claim. This is not a big, powerful or flamboyant expression of Pinot Gris but rather a very drinkable, impeccably balanced and classy one. Not a wow wine but something you actually want to have another glass of.

• 2016 Domaine Jean-Marie Haag Pinot Gris Zinnkoepflé - France, Alsace, Alsace Grand Cru (24.9.2021)
    The nose here is just gorgeous and swarming from the glass. It is quite perfumed with abundant ripe, hard candy-esque mirabelle fruit, faint minerality and honeyed tones. On the palate it has the most gentle of entries and a soft and caressing mouthfeel, plentiful off-dry and ripe fruit and the kind of ethereal quality that is not too common. Despite the lowish acidity it is not at all tired or flabby but instead comes off as vibrant and uplifting with a cool stony quality on the finish. What I really enjoy is that the alcohol is completely in check, which is by no means the case always with Alsatian Pinot Gris. I find this an ideal aperitif or sipping wine that doesn’t require any food at all to be immensely enjoyable. I feel like it was made with a really soft touch.

Posted from CellarTracker