2017 Burgundy Is A Gift

I don’t really expect this to necessarily be meaningful to anyone but me, but after years of frustration with red Burgundy, I have experienced great enjoyment with the village and 1ers from the 2017 vintage. These are not wines that need extended maturation to be enjoyable but I don’t doubt that they have the potential to improve with age. And with the exorbitant price increases with certain producers and certain vineyards, it’s really refreshing that the lower end of the hierarchy can offer so much pleasure without years of waiting. The whites from this vintage are also very good but my excitement is with the reds.

I have more 17 burgundy then any other vintage and agree that it’s fantastic.

2017 is underrated.

Hear hear! I smile just about every time I drink one. I think the press had these pegged similarly as 2007 but I’ve enjoyed every 2017 I’ve had more than any 2007.

I feel lucky to have started my serious wine cellar building in 2019 and so many of my purchases were 2017. I went deep on DRC and others. Love the whites but the reds are wonderful also.

The reds are so pleasantly open right now, even at the GC level. I have no idea what, if anything, this means about LT potential.

Any generalization on the 2014s? I had one fairly recently, the 2014 Fourrier Petits Vougeots. Blew me away how good it was after about 1 hour of air.

In my limited experience I have found that the 2017 reds have shut down since bottling (not a screaming hard shut down but more of a closing of the front palate), I suspect that they will open back up again at around 15 years of age and the wines (if well stored) will continue to meander on for quite a while after that. The slight closing of the front palate makes the wine seem slightly more linear and elegant.

17 is a slightly riper version of 14, both are very good mid term vintages.

1 Like

We’ll find out soon enough! [popcorn.gif]

1 Like

Which Mugneret Gibourg GC would you open at such young age?

Clos Vougeot if anything

1 Like

And this is considerably more shut down than it was a year ago!

Great to hear and I guess confirms my one and only experience so far: 2017 Bouchard Père et Fils Volnay 1er Cru Caillerets Ancienne Cuvée

I thought it was terrific and very surprised at how well it showed earlier in the year. Picked up a few bottles for my only purchase so far. Just finished up the 16 Brunello’s purchases so good to do some new hunting :slight_smile:

I agree. Doubtful 2017 red will close down hard. I would say …it is similar to 2007 and also 2000.

We have enjoyed many 2017’s since release. I agree with Marcus that they are shutting down a bit. Wines consumed recently were maybe slightly less fruity/enjoyable than three months ago, but still really nice. We aren’t surrendering yet, and will drink a few more before pushing the rest further back in the cellar, and transitioning to lower-end 2019’s. But I think that time is soon.

A general concept for those new to burgundy: Enjoy them on their fruit for the first year or three. Then hide them for a decade, and let their tertiary glory develop. That decade is the “window of disappointment” in which people complain that burgundy is thin and insipid. Of course these guidelines aren’t absolute, and some, usually lesser, vintages never really shut down. And post 2017, climate change and increasingly warm vintages may throw this bit of wisdom out the window.

1 Like

IMO the 17 Volnay 1er’s are drinking fantastic.

17 DRC are gonna be great

1 Like

2017 DRC should be as great as 2007 DRC; 2000 DRC; 1997 DRC and also 1994 DRC… [cheers.gif]

17 is way better than 07 and this is coming from someone who really likes 07.

1 Like