TN: 2018 Moundsman Cabernet Sauvignon (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2018 Moundsman Cabernet Sauvignon - USA, California, Napa Valley (9/25/2021)
    On the decant: opulent nose immediately of blackberry and cassis.
    First drink at 30 minutes: full-bodied on the mouthfeel, classic flavorful Napa fruit and nicely measured with traces of the classic Rutherford dust.
    60 minutes: Seems to be the peak drinking window. Highly enjoyable fruit-forward modern Napa Cabernet. Tasty, savory, and enjoyable but lacking complexity.
    90 minutes: Nose evolving with caramel notes and muted holly leaves; softening on the palate with a creamy yet minerally mouthfeel. Slightly grippy and savory finish.
    120 minutes: Nose is shut down and the flavors remain solid but rather simple.
    150 minutes: Aromas of angular blackberry. On the palate ripe dark fruit profile and jammy mouthfeel. Muted tart and mineral finish. Flavorful but uninteresting wine at this point.

The Wine Access NDA offerings were unquestionably one of the fun finds during the 2020 COVID lockdowns. Consistently great values in my rather extensive experience with them, it begged the question: “Could these wines age and become really noteworthy?” Right now I doubt the age-worthiness of this wine. It is still probably the “best bang for your buck” of the slew of NDAs that hit the market due to its comparatively lower dollar price and consistent delivery of flavorful wine in line with its alleged pedigree. But I would attribute the softening of the wine at the 90 minute mark from my notes to the wine fading rather quickly. Still a recommended “party wine” in group settings but tonight give it 45 minutes of air, fill everyone’s glasses, enjoy the compliments, and then move on. (91 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like