Remarkably Good Chardonnay

So, I’ve got 4 bottles of 1987 Gaja Langhe Chardonnay Gaia & Rey. All from the same case, all cellared properly since release. If you hold the bottles against the light, two of them are darker than caramel sauce. One is really bright and one is bright but slightly darker than the really bright one. I opened the second best looking one and it was splendid. It was remarkably good. It has some white mushroom development and a just a hint of butterscotch. There are candied peach notes and some vanilla. It is plump and full, but still has minerally freshness to the finish.

You lucky Boy! [wow.gif]

I didn’t realize that Chardonnay could be that dark but unoxidized. Interesting!

Did you try the interesting Massolino’s Langhe chardonnay ?

Trapiche…and great QPR.

Trapiche ???

Yes and sorry I was no specific. Trapiche from Argentina.

In Quebec, Canada we have the simple Chardonnay at CA $ 11.50 then Trapiche Perflie Calcarea Chardonnay Valle de Vco at CA$18.95; and Trapiche Medalla Chardonnay - Valle de Vco at $ 19.95.

Then higher end : Trapiche Costa & Pampa Chapadmalal at CA $25 and Trapiche Terroir Series Fina El Tomillo Uco at CA $50.

Hi Bill,

the colour was actually very good on the one we had, slightly darker than the brightest one but excellent for its age.

Cheers
Jeremy