TNs: Weekend wines including Pinot under $100 theme

PINOT UNDER $100 - East Bistro (24/9/2021)

Pinots under $100 theme, I think it was quite easy to call out the Burgs vs the new-world Pinots. The only tricky ones were the Kalin which everyone got wrong, the Bass Phillip which I got wrong but everyone else got right, whereas Ballorin was the opposite. Not a great set of wines, I think at this price point is best to stick to producers that you know that are of proven quality.

• 2017 Domaine Nicolas Faure Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune La Corvee de Bully - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune
    Previous bottle was a little advanced so wanted to check in on another bottle. Bit of a unicorn so always happy to share with like-minded friends. Luckily this was much fresher with impressive weight and zesty citrus fruits, but the oak was a bit more obtrusive compared to the first bottle which was still the best for me. Still excellent for its level mind, especially if you can find it for a reasonable price.
  • 2018 Henri Germain et Fils Beaune 1er Cru Bressandes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru
    Classic, old-school Burgundy. Lots of earth and sous-bois, coarse tannins that led me to CdB. The high alcohol on the finish made me guess 2018.
  • 2014 Domaine Marc Roy Gevrey-Chambertin Clos Prieur - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    My first Marc Roy but was rather disappointed by this. Popped and poured this as I wasn’t sure how it would evolve with air. Very pretty floral nose with a little VA but the palate didn’t match the elegance of the nose, tannins were rather harsh and the structure didn’t seem to match up to the fruit. Agree with previous comments that this seemed a little advanced - I’ve noticed notes for her wines are overwhelmingly more positive in their youth. Anyone has experience regarding how their wines age?
  • 2018 Domaine Ballorin Bourgogne Franc de Pieds - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne
    Thought this was a Burgundy made in a new-school ripe, juicy style in a warm vintage. Others thought this was new-world but the purity and weight of fruit was impressive enough to lead me to Burgundy. Didn’t have the length for anything above a Bourgogne so was happy that my guess turned out right. Bit too ripe and excessive, not the style of Burgundy that I enjoy but perhaps it was a product of the vintage.
  • 2000 Kalin Cellars Pinot Noir Cuvée DD - USA, California, Sonoma County
    Crumbly cork as others have noted before. I think this was very divisive, our table all thought it was old-world but the other table was adamant that it was very clearly new-world. Looking at previous notes, I think our table’s impression was closer to what was mentioned before.

Very classic Burgundian earthiness and sous-bois, tertiary mushroom notes and some VA on the nose even though this wasn’t quite as well done as the best producers from Burgundy. Savoury notes on the palate that led me to Gevrey. Lovely acid to the wine still despite the ripe fruit. Apparently the winemaker who is also a professor took some yeasts from DRC to make this.

• 2016 Burn Cottage Pinot Noir Moonlight Race - New Zealand, South Island, Otago, Central Otago
    Easy call for new-world with raspberry-like red fruits and a sweet finish. It was warmer than I expected from Otago though - I was in Australia for this. Generic, not very interesting.
  • 2016 Bouchard Père et Fils Gevrey-Chambertin - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Gevrey-Chambertin
    Clearly Burgundy but made in a heavily oaked style, way too much vanilla and black fruits with a cherry cola note. Really dislike Bouchard reds.
  • 2016 Bass Phillip Pinot Noir The Crown Prince - Australia, Victoria, Gippsland
    This one confused me because it didn’t come across overtly ripe - the smell was Burgundy but it had a little sweetness on the finish which suggested new-world. A little advanced with some funk and mushroom notes, must have contained some stems I think. A little monolithic on the fruit but still my favourite of the flight.
  • 2018 Belle Glos Pinot Noir Las Alturas Vineyard - USA, California, Central Coast, Santa Lucia Highlands
    Everything I hate in a new-world Pinot. Way over the top - over-ripe, over-extracted and very obnoxious use of oak. Why on earth does Pinot have chocolate and tobacco leaf notes? One of the worst Pinots I have tasted, up there with the Chinese one.

DINNER AT DIBBS’S - (25/9/2021)

• 2002 Foreau Domaine du Clos Naudin Vouvray Pétillant Brut Réserve - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Vouvray Pétillant
    Wow I called this blind as a Loire sparkling because I thought it tasted similar to a Huet sparkling I had before. Oxidative style and some honey notes, the finish was rather abrupt at the beginning but settled down well after a couple of hours to the point where it bore little difference to an aged champagne. Incredible balance to the wine and drinking at its apogee now.
  • 2004 La Gravette de Certan - France, Bordeaux, Libournais, Pomerol
    Perfect cork. Classic Bordeaux nose of pencil shavings with a certain elegance to it, on the palate it wasn’t as strong at first but gradually put on weight. Cool fruit with no signs of excess alcohol, developed some tertiary notes with air. Drinking well now with no upside from here. Very impressed with this for the price.
  • 2006 Fratelli Brovia Barolo Rocche - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo
    Cork was soaked through. Very tight on opening, only began to show a lovely floral nose with some VA after an hour in the decanter. Elegant and classic without the imposing structure of Nebbiolo, I definitely wouldn’t have gone to Piedmont. Had a kirsch-like quality, lovely weight and finish. Strangely the wine fell over and lost its fruit to become a wall of tannins with stewed prunes after three hours. The retailer I bought this from doesn’t have the best provenance so might not have been the best bottle, but when it was on I liked this a lot.
  • 1998 Château Léoville Las Cases - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Julien
    The awfully green nose reminded me of the Sassicaia 1999 I had a month back but I placed this as a left-bank Bordeaux based on the classic palate that didn’t betray much sweetness. I guessed this was a warm vintage from the ripeness of fruit so combining this with the greenness I went for Sociando 03 - oops.

It’s funny how both Las Cases I’ve had so far did not play up to the stereotype of Las Cases being never ready. On the contrary, the 90 and this were full of juicy, ripe red fruits and silky tannins, rather the imposing structured monster that I’ve been led to believe. Impeccable balance and a richness to the palate that underscored its pedigree, just that the greenness both on the nose and the palate (less so) was rather distracting.