I saw a shelf talker yesterday with an 84 point score

I’m not trying to overstate the importance of scores at all, but I don’t deny their effectiveness in marketing wines. I can only recall a couple instances of seeing any 8x point shelf talkers at all… and always 88/89. Never seen anything like this at all…

Also it’s not like this wine was in the corner somewhere … it was chest height in the middle of their wine display.
tempImageKl4Ay9.gif

1 Like

I want to see the rating for the West Virginia elderberry wine that’s next to it-

6 Likes

LOL, that reads like a 74 point note.

1 Like

“short on palate appeal”

For an average consumer, seeing an 84 point score for a $13.75 bottle is probably attractive, I’d guess. - $13.75 is pushing into the “premium” category.

But yeah, it’s surprising they included that tasting note.

Clever diversion to drive sales to the 89 pointer for $14.95

Over scored. The wine has a 77 on CT.

Well we at least know one of last words in the review is “marinade”.

Well, Wine Enthusiast…

well it SOUNDS delicious. lol

on the bright side, just think how good it must be compared to Uncle Jacks Virginia Elderberry wine if that one doesnt even get a shelf talker.

Pre grade inflation run amok days, 84 was a better score than many ever received on a test. They think an 84 is pretty darn good.

For a $14 bottle of wine, that’s still probably not too bad.

Maybe it helps people spend a bit more to get that $20 90 point wine

Getting a D on a test is better than an F. I guess this is the logic here :smiley:

maybe to people buying this wine an 84 would be a pretty stellar score on a test.

How is this a D? If this were a $14 bottle with an 87, it would all of a sudden be a screaming QPR buy.
If F means the wine is flawed or undrinkable, so presumably will never actually be put on the shelf, there is an ocean of D before you get to a wine like this, that probably sells quite well.

Triple the price and call it “The Inmate” and they could make enough money to build a winery on Highway 29.

Maybe the reviewer felt the salty plum skin flavors finishing short was a good thing?

Wear your number with PRIDE!

1 Like

I mean my point was supposed to taken as sarcasm where anything under 80 points usually has a flaw of some sort and since the 100 point scale starts at 50 it’s understandable why an 84 is not the same score as a true 100 point scale where a scale starts at 0.

1 Like