What’s good in Amador these days?

Simply put, looking for a few great winery visits in Amador. Doesn’t have to be big or kid-friendly or anything specific, just a good visit. Thanks for any and all recommendations.

Terre Rouge and Easton Wines would be my top choice. Right next store is Vino Noceto with a focus on Sangiovese. You can walk to each other.

Edit to add: Check out board member Ken Zinns reports on his visits at Winery Visits and Wine Tastings by Ken Zinns Great info here.

1 Like

PXL_20210918_222210763.jpg
We stopped at Boa Vista Orchards last weekend, which is in Placer, not so far if you make a kind of roundabout circle coming back. It can be crazy crowded on nice weekends. They have wine tasting too (which I passed on) and various kinds of cider as well.

Dare I mention Turley? They have several wines that can only be purchased at the Amador tasting room, incl Barbera, Vermentino, appellation Zin.

Turley took over another winery, and there’s some interesting stuff in that mix. (The prior outfit was Karly.)

I agree, as I have on other topics, with Mr. Devaney. DTR/Easton is a must. Also, have dinner at Taste, run by really nice people, one of whom is inlaws with Fred Scherrer, so they serve his wines. It’s right in Plymouth, you could probably ride a bike from their hotel (Rest, get the idea?) to DTR. When I go up to Amador, those are the three things I do: Stay at Rest, eat at Taste, and taste at DTR.

I also had a great visit a few years back at Terra d’Oro, which was Montevina before, but I think they dropped the name. It’s a big operation, part of the Sutter Home group, started by a team that included Joel Gott’s father. (They still sold grapes to Joel when I was there.) Pioneers of the wine business in the Foothills, even longer than Bill Easton, and the staff was knowledgeable and fun. They have good Barbera (really good for the money), Sangio, Teroldego. It’s all value priced, so you can get a bottle for your picnic.

So I am biased because my family owns the vineyard, but I’d highly recommend Element 78 Vineyards. It’s a little drive from Amador but some great options right there.

The Element 79 tasting room is modern and comfortable with amazing views of vineyards outside the patio. Kid friendly too.

Grape-Nutz wrote a review for what it’s worth:

The only thing I’ll say is that this review is a little dated and their lineup is a little more extensive now, with some time to refine the program and earn some accolades along the way.

Feel free to call me out here if it’s a horrible experience =)

1 Like