TN: Louis Roederer Collection 242

Run, don’t walk.

Outrageous value. Roederer Brut Premier was probably my favourite widely available NV Champagne (especially in our relative wine wilderness up here) and this is an even better proposition. It’s certainly richer than the Brut Premier, but giving up a slightly less linear approach is more than made up for in this wine’s depth.

Buttery pastry, light wet stone, and plush orchard fruits greet you on the nose, already signalling what’s to come. Beautiful balance on the palate between generosity and tension, with balancing acids that play against the golden apple fruit and light nuttiness. Layered and deep. Long, textural finish.

Roederer simply has no competition among the large houses for quality. This is so, so good.

5 Likes

So I just bought 6 bottles of the 242. I’m hoping it’s not as tight as the cristal 12, granted I tried it young.

Not at all. This is wide-open and generous - aging potential for sure, but it’s already delicious.

Perfect I’m super pumped! I might need to load up more after trying one if it’s that good.

Thanks for the note. I am looking forward to trying it this weekend.

They were pouring it last week at the newly reopened AA Flagship Lounge at JFK. Can’t say how long it will last, but it was a pleasure to find it there.

A buy or just better than drinking Piper Red Label in the lounge?

1 Like

Red label? You are flying the wrong airlines! :wink:

I very much enjoyed my couple of glasses before my flight, but probably not a buy for me, as there are a number of champagnes in the same price range I prefer, as well as several that cost less. But a very nice drink, one I’d consider a gift on a restaurant list that tended towards the big names, or if I am up a creek without a bottle and need to pick up something at a random store.

Thanks for the review Sarah.

I know. EWR is my local airport and therefore United is my default airline. In better days, Continental was a code share partner with Air France and I could fly first class on AF using my Continental miles. That was a nice way to travel.

I once flew first class on Air France, and I was the only passenger who wasn’t sleeping. I ate and drank very well! Best flight ever.

I agree. Why sleep through 5 star service? Plenty of time sleep at the hotel.

When you’re in Paris?

In fairness, I was returning home.