TN: Family 2017 Bordeaux Blend Night (Petit Clos, Meyney, Davis Zephyr)

FAMILY 2017 BORDEAUX BLEND NIGHT - (9/26/2021)

My family definitely loves wine but they are not studied in the wine styles of various wine regions. It was a fun tasting to try these 3 different 2017 red blends both before food and paired with ribeye. They were double blinded (other than knowing the theme of Cab Sauv driven blends) and I single blinded to the wines. Decanted 3 hrs prior to tasting.

• 2017 Lapostolle Le Petit Clos Clos Apalta - Chile, Rapel Valley, Colchagua Valley
    Aromas - medium intensity green pepper and quince, red plum, dark cherry, currant, slight damp earth. Savory and stony mineral notes emerge over time.

Palate - medium bodied, medium+ acid and ripe medium tannins. Ripe fruit and mineral across an expansive yet weightless mid palate and a medium + length mineral driven finish.

The structure and complexity are here to allow for aging and I feel this will be better in 4-6 years. (94 pts.)

Palate - sweet entry, full body, medium acid and soft tannins. Plush across the mid palate with a medium + length finish on deep fruits and vanilla notes.

A prototypical Napa BDX blend. I like it but in this flight it showed sweet and the structure fell a bit flat. (92 pts.)

• 2017 Château Meyney - France, Bordeaux, Médoc, St. Estèphe
    Aromas - Relatively muted aromas of damp earth, faint bell pepper, graphite, tobacco, underpinned by muted blackcurrant

Palate - More expressive than the nose, revealing a tart entry with red cherry notes, slight greenness, a slate-y mineral character, with relatively soft tannins, medium + acidity, and a long finish on fruit and acid.

The structure is here and while the nose was muted, I am anticipating this wine will relax and improve significantly in the next 4-7 years. (92 pts.)

The group arrived at #2 California, #3 France and #1 a “Cooler climate” prior to revealing what the 3 wines were so I’m pretty proud of them. The Petit Clos was my and the groups favorite wine. Characteristic clues of Chile and Carmenere were here but the wine was both delicious now and shows great potential for 4+ years down the road. Too bad it was my only bottle.
Posted from CellarTracker