TN: 2017 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)

• 2017 Thierry Allemand Cornas Reynard - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (9/25/2021)
    Decided to give this a test drive since nobody else really has. Helps that 2017 is a more approachable vintage. Yolo.

Decanted for 3 hours in the morning, recorked, and brought to the restaurant a few hours later. This was extremely expressive with tons of florals, olive oil, pepper, and berries. It was constantly changing in terms of which aroma was emphasized and pretty plush on the palate. So much to love here. My friend thinks it’s possibly the best young Reynard he’s ever had and I’m inclined to agree. No regrets for trying one so soon. (96 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Thanks for the note Curtis! For someone who’s only been able to scrape together one 12 and one 17 would you recommend opening one over the other or hold both?

Cheers!

1 Like

Of course! I’d hold both, but if I had to choose, I’d go for the 17. I haven’t had the 12 in a while, but it’s a much denser and deeper wine. More exciting future :slight_smile:

Also, it may seem random, but the 2019 Halcon Alturas kept coming to mind during this tasting. Surprising amount of overlap. At 1/10th the price, drink that!

2 Likes

Well that’s just perfect since Paul just shipped my order of 6 of them.

1 Like

Wow. Sounds awesome. Thanks for taking one for the team Curtis!

1 Like

12 was drinking very nicely on Saturday with plenty of gas in the tank. I recommend opening 17 now, realizing you should buy more, then buy more and bury it all.

1 Like

It’s a lovely idea Jayson, but I’ve found it pretty hard to find much Allemand I can afford haha.

Jayson lives the best life. I’m always trying to catch up to him! Still wishing I could replicate his Sichaun cooking, we haven’t even gotten to wine yet.

Lol. I wish I could afford Allemand still. Outside my comfort zone now.

I do enjoy Sichuan cooking though. The Chili Oil I made was such a good call. It goes on everything. (Edit: I should mention of course that Keith Levenberg was my inspiration. I’m just his Padawan.)

1 Like