Let's talk Chambolle

So I’ve noticed over the past several months that I’m really digging good reds from Chambolle-Musigny. Every bottle I open just sings with my palate. Looking at my cellar I wonder why I don’t have more wines from this appellation?

I literally have a handful of Musigny 1er/GC and at the same time my cellar is buldging with reds from VR, GC, etc. I love a great Chambertin and of course VR is amazing, but there’s something extra satisfying from CM with the sweet, floral nose and deep earthy palate. But for some reason I just haven’t bought it.

Anyone else also digging CM? What are your favorite CM options? I’m interested in everything: village, 1er and also Musigny.

My Burgundy epiphany wine was a 2010 Amiot-Servelle Derriere la Grange. It was just firing on all cilinders. I finally understood what the fuss is all about.

Funny, I was having a similar thought earlier this week after a 2008 Jadot ‘Les Fuees’ took me by delightful surprise.

Thanks for the thread - look forward to following along for recs.

Would it be incorrect to say that Chambolle offers some of the most elegant wines of Burgundy?

2 Likes

I always kind of thought this was accepted as truth. Wish I could drink the stuff more regularly.

1 Like

There’s only one Mugnier, and it’s a bit sad that what I little I have now might likely be all I’ll ever be able to drink :cry:.

That said, I really dig Drouhin (AC & 1er) & Hubert Lignier (regular & VV). Up there village-wise is Hudelot-Noellat.

Good call. The impetus behind this thread was a 13 Lignier VV I popped last night.

1 Like

Yeah, pretty much, for both parts of this statement.

For the OP: most of my favorite options have been priced well out my reach – at this point, I’m just glad for the wines I’ve got in the cellar.

2 Likes

ive zeroed in on chambolle and volnay as my favorite villages in all of burgundy. just the right wines for my palette.

speaking of hubert lignier, their bussieres village wine is quite underrated. i picked up some bottles at wholesale prices from 2014 recently and was super impressed by both bottles. punched way above their weight.

2 Likes

Stream of consciousness:

God I love Chambolle. But like Volnay, it’s not unfailingly feminine and lacy, notwithstanding the reputation.

Roumier is the gold standard and his villages is my favorite villages in all Burgundy—and priced like it.

Mugnier’s Chambolle AOC is probably the archetype of the village. But in my view it is now overpriced. Mugnier’s 01 Musigny is in my pantheon.

My Mugnier substitute is Bruno Clair’s ‘Veroilles’, a village wine that screams Chambolle elegance every year. Love it and it’s usually sub-$100.

The Chambolle producer I own the most of us Barthod. Her wines are a bit on stern and angular side. But they are so soulful and satisfying. The Lafarge of Chambolle.

My favorite vineyard: probably Combe d’Orveau. Baby Musigny. Clavelier and Faiveley versions are superb and can be relative bargains.

Drouhin makes beautiful Chambolle. His 1er may be the village’s best value.

Dujac’s Gruenchers is the sleeper in his cellar.

Even de Vogue, sometimes unfairly maligned, has produced some of my favorite wines.

I’d love to drink more Lignier and Bertheau. I do drink Fourrier but rarely his Chambolles.

In short—lots and lots and lots of great stuff. I just wish it were cheaper.

7 Likes

Nice! I had to tell myself to slow down on my stash because I was drinking them too fast :upside_down_face:.

BTW, if I could go back, I would have picked up all the '07 Drouhin Musigny @ $300 that I could. I took a pass, and it’s one of the ones I gotta wear for the rest of my life, lol. If I were going to dip into some Moose, that’s probably where I’d start.

1 Like

Had one of these in 2016 and just loved it. Must be even better by now!

Had a 2014 Domaine Felettig Chambolle-Musigny 1er Cru Les Charmes the other day that was a real delight. Good enough to get on my signature!

I sometimes think of Volnay as the slightly less rich mans version of chambolle, but yes I would say that most would agree with Chambolle.

I remember buying my case of 2002 Mugnier C-M for sub $40. Glad I experienced many bottles of that and Fuees before prices skyrocketed. Of course, wish I bought more - much much more. But agree, that village wine is reference standard along with Roumier.

Forgot to add Fourrier, delicious too.

1 Like

That’s right. Depends on which side of the combe, I believe,

1 Like

As with some others above, my two favorites from burgundy are Chambolle and Volnay. Both seem to trade on bouquet and elegance, much more than other burgundy communes. Chambolle tends to be more friendly and outgoing (for lack of better words), while Volnay takes a bit more time to relax and open up – in my experience. Bonnes Mares and Musigny are my favorite grand crus.

Favorite Chambolles have been from Roumier, Barthod, Groffier (a 2006 Amoureuses recently was fabulous), Jadot, and Vogue. Favorite Volnays from de Montille, Lafarge, and D’Angerville.

1 Like

Sorry to spoil your party, but if that is the case, your thread title should read “Let’s talk Morey Saint-Denis.”

1 Like

H. Lignier makes CM as well as MSD.