TN: 2011 Virage Vineyards (USA, California, Napa Valley)

• 2011 Virage Vineyards - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/21/2021)
    2011? Well yes, there’s nothing off vintage or underwhelming here. It’s bright, focused, and while it has some of that California sunshine, it also makes a clear nod to Bordeaux. That nod does include a clear oak signature, but it’s in balance with the deep red fruit. Tannins are kept in check at the back, so it’s quite easy to drink, with enough grip to support more cellar time. Overall I would prefer to drink my other bottle soon, as I like the fruit/structure balance and flavor profile.

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Emily makes good juice. Never let me down.

4 Likes

Did you decant?? I have a couple these, plus several 07s

Love Virage across multiple vintages. Only had one 2011, which seemed more straightforward, but a soaked cork left me thinking it might have been a compromised bottle. I’ve had a few 2007s that were sublime. The 2010 is drinking great also, and even 2012 was excellent after some decanting.

A quick pour into a decanter then right back into the bottle. Then started drinking it an hour later.

I don’t like hearing about soaked corks! I’m going to replace that bottle!!

1 Like

Speaking of 2011 has anyone tried the Montelena Estate? Local shop has it under $100 on sale.

Funnily enough, the 2011 is the high-scorer relative to 2010 and 2012. They’re all sisters with subtle differences, but as the 2010 has been quite the sleeper until recently, I’m holding out for 2011 to soon reveal more complexity. I’m in agreement that for most of 2021 this 2011 blend is more straightfoward crushed rocks and pomegranate. I think scored highly for its weight/density. I wonder if new tertiary flavors will start coming through the layers of that tightly-stacked heel… 2012 goes to a dark-bitter chocolate place that’s amazing but the black cherry fruit in 2010… just bursting out of the glass right now, brimming with minerality–which the 2011 has in spades. I honestly cannot decide a favorite. I think I will force little vertical 3-paks on the BDay buyers this year.

Last weekend we did the 2010 thru 2012 vertical to see which we preferred (to stock up) I agree they are all similar with with their own character.

Our conclusion was to get more of all 3. :slight_smile:

1 Like

To be clear, it wasn’t bad or obviously flawed. It just wasn’t up to par with the other dozen bottles I’ve had, which have all been stellar. Maybe it was me! I’ve still got a couple 2011’s, so looking forward to giving it another shot.

And yes, please force some more on me for BDay…I’m a buyer!

Thanks Mike. I hear ya. Let’s see how the bext cork looks… I do agree the vintage has really nice mouthfeel, weight, density but more straightforward at this point vs 2010. That said, early on the 2010, and even 2007, were in that same boat. I used to beg folks to decant the 2007 for four hours or leave open on the counter for four days—it really was built to age..
And, 2010 was just a big hedonistic monster with only its bright acidity to keep me (alcohol sensitive) from being overwhelmed by heat; yet now has matured into something sophisticated, sleek and fab. And still super fresh expressive fruit.

I went maybe six months without drinking any Virage wine, any wine for that matter, and my first 2010 a week or so ago blew me away. I always found something in it to recognize as loveable, before, but I actually LOVE it, now. I’ll be cracking a 2011 in the next few days to prepare for BDay.

4 Likes

Just checked my Virage inventory in CT and Benchmark Wine has 6 bottles of the 07 in stock.
For $804/bottle. [mouth-drop.gif] [mouth-drop.gif]

Whaaaaa???

That’s insane. They must mean per CASE? Or I might have to reconsider selling the couple personal cases I have stashed… Might pay for my porch renovation.

Virage was a Berserker Day find for me a few years ago. I opened a magnum of the 2008 for my retirement day. Lots of good memories.

1 Like

I love these wines and should drink them more often. Will there be a BD13 offer?

Hope your dad loved 'em too, Chris! You should, and yes, you bet there will be BD13 offers–I wouldn’t miss this for the world. As per usual, I’ll be staying up all night tonight tweaking the deal! Send lattes, please, in the morning…

1 Like

Just popped one of these an hour ago to give it a bit of air ahead of dinner. Poured a half glass and it was tasting wonderful on PNP. This will be delicious with the rib eyes in a few hours.

1 Like