Louis Roederer`s newest project: NV Roederer 242 Collection

NV LOUIS ROEDERER 242 COLLECTION- after 10 years of consideration, this new release is the first of a new adventure from this house where they are featuring a champagne sourced from top plots that are using sustainable farming techniques and worthy of terrior identity and unique individualized blending; starting with the 2012 vintage, they are now creating a “perpetual reserve” stored in stainless steel vats that’ll be enriched thereafter each year with up to 20-30 vintages in the template; this reserve will include greatly increased proportions of oak-aged reserve wines that will go into the blends; therefore, each Collection blend will have its own identity; to reflect Roederer’s historical origins, the blend is 1/3 “La Rivière” estate, 1/3 “La Montagne” estate and 1/3 “La Côte” estate; the name is derived from the fact that this is the 242nd blend since inception; it is comprised for 34% Perpetual Reserve, 10% oak-aged reserve wines from the 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 vintages, complemented by 56% of the finest wines from the 2017 harvest: mainly Chardonnays and Pinot noirs and Meuniers from the Vallée de la Marne; using the new Roederer app, one can glean the specifics of each Collection release using the QR code on the back label.

Tasting notes: this release was aged for 3-4 years and although good now, it can go for another few years easily; I got lovely citrus notes in the nose which on the palate translated into orange marmalade and lemon zest; there’s a hint of hazelnut, but in time, it should become more pronounced; there is a nice mild streak of spice that runs through to the back end; it is very rich and amazingly, already nicely balanced; I’m impressed enough to buy a few and follow them as they mature.

Cheers,
Blake
thumbnail_IMG_0675.jpg
thumbnail_IMG_0676.jpg

6 Likes

Thanks for the note. I was impressed too, a departure from the Brut Premier and dramatically better. Best price I saw on the market was $32 taxes and shipping included, if you buy some quantity (was in Europe). At this price point it is almost unbeatable, in my opinion. Roederer’s goal is to get the price up to the $70+ where Runiarts BdB NV is trading, so prices will increase. In my opinion, this is a must buy (an big opportunity as they certainly added that extra effort and some Cristal fruit (none produced in 2016) to make for a successful launch with good reviews => 93 pts from William Kelley).

1 Like

Very interesting, I think I’ll try and find a bottle. RNDC who is our supplier of Roederer doesn’t have it in stock.

There’s a few other notes here …

https://www.wineberserkers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=3321253

I wrote up my notes and posted them prior to searching for other threads; so, thanks for the link. There seems to be a consensus of buying some and storing for a few years which was my conclusion. The Maillard reaction will certainly boost the hazelnut notes and most likely add in some toasty brioche as well. Yum!

Prices in the USA are $55+.

I paid $55 at Envoyer, and it looks like it’s still available for that.

I grabbed some of these from WHWC last month for $48, but it looks like they’ve taken it up to $55 also.

I used a few codes to get these off wine dot com for a nice price, considering they have it for $54, and stole some through Vivino champagne.gif

Here’s some additional info re the NV Roederer 242 Collection as it relates to the QR code on the back label which was just done yesterday by the one who brought it:

QR code also states: 42% Chard, 36% PN, 22% PM; wines in oak= 12%; this perpetual reserve= 34%{2012-2016}, reserve wines aged in oak=10%{2009, 2011,2013-16; 56% of the 242nd harvest was from 8/31 to 9/9 2017; dosed at 8 gpl and provides a place of the app to put in the code or photo the code for disgorgement info. He did not do this next step; so, I’ll be sure to do it with the next bottle I see.

I bought this wine based on this thread (thanks) and really enjoyed it. However, with every sip, I kept imagining how much better it would be with a little less dosage. I know Roederer is headed that way (the '13 Cristal was pretty zippy), so I hope they tick it down this this bottling too!

Just saw a recent offer: “Roederer, Champagne ‘Collection 242’ and ‘241’ (the latter in magnum, the former with declassified Cristal)” Didn’t`t know about the 241 and in mags.

I tried this tonight. My basic take was that it was pleasant. Sort of right down the middle, a champagne that will appeal to a lot of people.

1 Like

I couldn’t resist opening a bottle after all the praise. I too like some found Brut Premier technically well made but very boring. This is different, not something I would buy by the case but very lovely and would happily drink again. I can only applaud Roederer for taking this route.

• NV Louis Roederer Champagne Collection 242 - France, Champagne (12.11.2021)
    Toasty and smoky on the nose with rich tangerine fruit and tones of apricot, cherry and almond. Super generous and pretty complex with a savory edge, what’s not to love? Fine and persistent mousse is on the gentle side. I am quite surprised by the wonderful vinosity and sheer size. Has good richness and depth to it both texturally and flavor-wise. Abundant ripe fruit. A very satisfying style, to some degree because of its fairly conventional dosage that yet doesn’t come off as too high for my palate that surely is moulded by the bone dry grower stuff. Manages to be very tasty and drinkable with a lingering finish that goes on and on and has delightful bitter and savory tones. Roederer wines are always super well made but as is intended this one is splendidly charming and characterful as well, if then not quite in the same way many grower wines that come from a single village and perhaps variety are. A wildly succesful new launch I think, but will this style appeal to the casual drinkers? Does it need to? I don’t know, but if the price remains at this level I can well see myself buying the stronger base vintages to cellar.

Posted from CellarTracker

Grabbed a 6 pack of this off Vivino for $264 to my door. Was previously buying Heidsieck NV as my house bubbles for the past few years (local shop had them at $42 OOD), but that well dried up. Excited to try something new!

We recently tried this and I found it quite enjoyable with a strong house style.

I will buy more.

or $50 at JJ Buckley.

1 Like

or $44 to your door at Vivino if you are a first time buyer.

1 Like

Wine dot com still has it for 54.99, which is already fair if you have free shipping. Codes make this an even better deal.