TNs: Some quick-hitter TNs from a small Berserkers gathering

R0bert P@vlovich recently hosted me, my wife, and a couple other local wine geeks at his place for a wonderful little tasting. The theme was loosely “vintages ending in 8.” The Mugneret was easily my favorite of the night. If you have any of the Berthaut-Gerbet do not waste them right now, unless you really enjoy non-descript red-fruited oak. A great time was had by all, and it was particularly nice to finally meet Mr. Akers in person. [cheers.gif]

2004 Jacquesson & Fils Champagne Grand Cru Avize Champ Cain - France, Champagne, Champagne Grand Cru (10/13/2021)
NOSE: ripe; “full”; smells aged; slightly oxidized apple; quite pleasant.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: medium+ acidity; nutty finish; at, or slightly past, peak, for my preferences. Has aged nicely; enjoyable and ready to drink unless you prefer fully mature Champagne.

2018 Gérard Mugneret Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru Les Cras - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Nuits St. Georges 1er Cru (10/13/2021)
NOSE: red-fruited; “fresh”; light oak; touch of pine (Off bug spray); Fruity Pebbles cereal; a little bit meaty; complex, and fairly expressive at this point in time.

BODY: violet-garnet color of medium depth; medium bodied.

TASTE: spicy; bitter florals; non-descript red fruits; nice back-end meaty note; fine tannin; pretty open; nice; seems it will benefit from a good 10 years in the cellar; 13.5% alc.; embedded meaty mineral note. Really nice, and probably my favorite wine of the evening for drinking right now, notwithstanding this wine’s bright future. Gut impression score: 93 – 94.

2018 Joseph Drouhin Beaune 1er Cru Clos des Mouches Blanc - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Beaune 1er Cru (10/13/2021)
NOSE: reductive reduced reduction — quite difficult to move past this.

BODY: light green-yellow color; medium bodied.

TASTE: oily mouthfeel; light pineapple. Strong Hold recommendation.

2018 Domaine Berthaut-Gerbet Echezeaux - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Echezeaux Grand Cru (10/13/2021)
– double-decanted 3.5 hrs before first taste –

NOSE: perfumed; a touch cracker-y (oak?); a bit high toned; hint of bitter orange peel; moderately expressive — the air time did help it open somewhat, as it was quite closed upon opening.

BODY: medium-light bodied.

TASTE: oaky; tannic; smooth red fruits; pointless to buy for drinking today — this needs lots of time to absorb the oak and develop complexity — although the air time did help this somewhat, it still never got to a point where I thought, “Yeah, not necessarily a bad idea to open this now.” — just don’t. Strong Hold recommendation.

2008 Comm. G.B. Burlotto Barolo Monvigliero - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (10/13/2021)
– popped and poured –

NOSE: high-toned; some V/A; fairly open and giving.

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: leathery cherry. Better than four years ago.

2008 Giuseppe E Figlio Mascarello Barolo Monprivato - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barolo (10/13/2021)
– popped and poured –

NOSE: tight and oaky.

BODY: medium bodied.

TASTE: good acidity; non-descript dark red/purple fruits; would have benefited from more air.

2008 Sottimano Barbaresco Riserva - Italy, Piedmont, Langhe, Barbaresco (10/13/2021)
NOSE: minty

BODY: medium-light to medium bodied.

TASTE: strong cherry; very tannic; lots of mineral ; a bit warm; very good and still has upside.

2018 Domaine Auguste Clape Cornas - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (10/13/2021)
– double-decanted about 6 hours before initial taste –

Purple-fruited, with lots of rustic Cornas character. Surprisingly loose-knit. I’m sure it’ll age just fine, but this didn’t wow me; rather, it’s just a solid, low-level excellent Cornas.