NV L-P Rose/08`;Giacosa Arneis,Nervi Gattinara,Cortese Barbaresco,Produttori Moccagata,Palacios Moncerbal

Our Monday night dinner group enjoyed another fine outing at Ca Dario Montecito where we feasted on an assortment of delicious appetizers followed by their usual tasty and superb first and second courses.

Our wine theme vacillated between Spanish reds and Nebbiolo from Piedmont and we got 3 of one and one of the other. So, with a blind format, it also became our challenge to ID the Spanish wine as well as our own bring and as usual, it required some going back and forth.

We got off to a great start with 2 champagnes and an Arneis:

NV LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT ROSE- this consistency lovely rose expanded in the glass and after starting off with enticing and mild fresh strawberry, raspberry and red cherry notes, they seem to expand and double down with the flavor expression with time; it had a feel good frothy mousse, an accent of saline plus a streak of spice that arrived past mid palate; this nice rose has elegance and finesse and yet has enough stuff to be perky and as such, completely satisfying.

IMG_1096.jpeg
2008 LAURENT-PERRIER BRUT- I’ve loved this since its was released and it has held its own with many of the stupendous 2008s that are across the board magnificent; on this night, it was brought by another and it shined as all before it have; this is my 7th bottle and previous notes reflected similar findings; it was super rich and creamy, full bodied and yet had so much finesse and loads of sophistication; following its medium yellow color came aromas of honeyed lemon zest which continued on to be joined by ginger and spice laden citrus, apple and pear; a huge hit of spice finished it off nicely; of all of the attributes this had, it was its unexpected power, mouthfeel and balance that stood out, again.

IMG_1098.jpeg
2016 BRUNO GIACOSA ROERO ARNEIS- following its light yellow color came aromas of mineral laced citrus fruit which on the palate translated into fresh lemon and lime plus some green apple, pear and white peach with more minerals; it had an oily, glycerin like texture, nice acidity and was very refreshing, serving as a palate cleanser and prep for the upcoming reds.

IMG_1097.jpeg
Next up, 4 reds, 1 from Spain, 3 from Piedmont, tasted blind:

2006 LUIGI NERVI GATTINARA- thanks to another dinner group we all are a part of, this has been a consistent go to winner that has gotten lots of love over the last 3 decades and I’ve happily added many bottles to my cellar for just such occasions as this one; I did recognize it immediately as it showed similar characteristics from previous samplings; this is 100% Nebbiolo from the Northwest region of Piedmont and is made from a blend from three different crus: Molsino, Valferana and Casazza; the color was a dark, vibrant purple; the nose included cedar, mushroom and leather accented dried dark fruit; over time and after repeated small tastes, it also had a touch of earth, licorice and coffee accented black currant; it was medium bodied, easy on the palate and super food friendly, especially for our red sauce laden Italian pasta/ cuisine; decanted 2 hours prior to serving.

IMG_1095.jpeg
1996 GIUSEPPE CORTESE RABAJA BARBARESCO RISERVA- it seemed pretty clear this was Nebbiolo, but I did not detect the age as the color was a pure dark ruby; the nose offered serious notes of ripe, dark fruit along with hints of tar and earth laden blackberry and black currant; it was super smooth and long with subtle layered depth; perhaps its hallmark was its perfect balance; although its in a great place now, it has the stuffing and structure to go for the long haul, say another 10-20 years before reaching its apogee.

IMG_1103.jpeg
2003 DESCENDIENTES de J. PALACIOS MONCERBAL BIERZO- after nosing all 4 wines, this clearly was the one that was different and easily deduced to be the Spanish wine; it comes from the steep hillside vineyard of Moncerbal in the Northwest region of Bierzo and is made by an upcoming superstar winemaker, Alvaro Palacios, who studied vinology in France and apprenticed at Petrus; this wine, named after his father, is made righteously using 100% new French oak and bottled without filtration or fining; I got eucalyptus and leather notes accompanying the burnt ripe black cherry and plum fruit; it was soft and mellow and just glided on through to the back end before it eased on, over and eventually out.

IMG_1104.jpeg
2004 PRODUTTORI del BARBARESCO MOCCAGATA RISERVA- following its red garnet color came pleasant aromas of ripe and concentrated red and dark fruit; once tasted, it gave up generous amounts of earth and tobacco accented red cherry, red and black currant; underlying tannins were most evident and time should serve this well for them to integrate and soften just a bit as well as the fruit to balance out; this has the matrix to be extra good and a long decant is suggested if opening in the next 10 years or so.

IMG_1107.jpeg
Cheers,
Blake

1 Like