Shamed for not including a score on a CT tasting note

Thought I’d share an entertaining story here about an experience I had after writing a CT tasting note.

So, I entered this tasting note on CT:
2003 Midsummer Cellars Cabernet Sauvignon Mann Vineyard - USA, California, Napa Valley (10/30/2021)
13.5% abv. Recent auction purchase.
Interesting Napa Cab. There’s a little bit of a roasted note that points to the hot vintage, but it’s not too bad. Seems kind of tight and wound up still, even on the second evening (stoppered overnight). Acid was pretty high and stuck out a bit. Not the most attractive flavor profile but an interesting drink for the $22 I paid for it.

A day later, a comment on the note is posted:

I’m guessing you liked the wine but I don’t waste time reading a review with no numerical score. Did you like it a lot (93) or just a little (86)? It’s not complicated, it mirrors your grammar school grades: A = 90 and above, B = 80-89, C = 70-79… below that is “Dislike.”

I hope this dude isn’t a Berserker. The comment seems very condescending and seems to be shaming me for not providing a score to go with my, apparently, meaningless note. I mean, I think the note makes it pretty clear that I would not score this a 93, just by the descriptive language that I’m using. Then the “I don’t waste my time…” comment - sheesh. And to top that off, he lectures me on a simplified A, B, C scoring explanation like I’m a ten-year-old kid - BTW, I’ve written almost 4000 CT tasting notes, most of which have scores.

In the end, I took the high road and responded to the comment with a polite response and scoring range, but man, this really leaves me shaking my head.

3 Likes

Sheesh!

It must have been very tempting to say, “And I don’t waste my time on points-obsessed CT users.”

5 Likes

Man, you were being too nice IMO. I would have told the guy, I don’t write my TNs for you, and if you don’t have time to read it, move on.

I’d chalk it up to “bizarre comment” and move on in life.

1 Like

im 100 points on this.

1 Like

I give it 43.962 on a base 6 scale.

2 Likes

You should have given him a “numerical rating”!!

2 Likes

I’m still on the old school version, I didn’t even know you could leave a comment-derp.
Guy sounds like a wee bit of a douche I must say.

You should rate his respond… sorry I don’t rate wines I only rate commenters 0/100 points

I wouldn’t feel singled out here because if you look at that reviewers comments to other cellartracker users, he has an identical response to everything that doesn’t have a numerical score along with a note.

His Cellar Tracker bio statement reads like he’s Latham Richard’s long lost twin.

5 Likes

If it was a one off, yes I’d agree best to write it off and not respond, but perhaps worth alerting Eric Levine to this wider pattern, as it could be something he finds concerning, especially if any of those comments turn into arguments, or he thinks his userbase may find such a comment confrontational.

2 Likes

Right, I see that now - good point. This guy seems to be gripping too tight - he just can’t let an unscored tasting note go by without feeling obligated to comment on it!

I really wouldn’t go that far. It’s harmless as far as I’m concerned and not even worth the effort.

1 Like

Some people. rolleyes

Yes, I was very tempted to respond this way, but I have enough confrontational energy already focused on political issues and don’t need to drag my wine obsession down with negativity.

3 Likes

Sounds like an “investor bro” that thinks everything should be the way they want it.

What a tool. Like, what’s the point of even commenting on a wine or note like that? Depending on my mood when reading that, I’d have possibly told him to go fuck himself

I don’t do points.

[rofl.gif]

Do you suppose he combs CT for unscored wines so he can harangue the folks that dared to omit points in their notes?