Matt is a good guy

Update: See post #29 and #87, and consider it resolved. Thank you all and happy holidays

Hi folks,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time, and this is my first post.
Last week, I purchased 2 bottles of Palmer at a Costco while traveling in LA. At item pickup, I was handed an open wooden case. I had to rush to the airport at the time, so I didn’t bother checking the wines. I received a call from Costco today and they told me I was given a full 3 bottle case instead of 2 bottles. I opened my suitcase and checked the wines, it is indeed a whole 3 bottle package. I called back to the store and told them I have confirmed the issue, and I am happy to ship it back if they can provide a shipping label. But I was told they can’t provide shipping label because it is alcohol. The only options I have are either return it in person or I can purchase the extra bottle.
I am posting here to seek your advice, is there a way I can get Costco to cover the shipping cost or return it to a local Costco store ? Or should I just play the dirty game by keeping it and ignore calls from Costco…

1 Like

Tell them to figure out how to get possession of the wine back, it’s their error.

5 Likes

Jack, if your local Costco sells alcohol, return it there.

1 Like

You have something you didn’t purchase. Question I have is how did you pack an open wooden case into a bag and not look at it.

Pay for the bottle. Take the high road.

2 Likes

Yup - this for sure. The 3rd bottle isn’t yours, so I’d let them know that you’ll drop it off at your local store.

To Michael’s question, how did you handle getting the box on the airplane? You pop that badboy in your suitcase?

That’s simply, just try that with yours. I am simply asking a question here, and see if I can get some help to get this resolved. If I my knowledge is still uptodate, I actually have no obligation to return it and can simply keep it as a free gift. The fact, I am posting here shows I have no intend to keep it. So what’s your point sir ?

1 Like

Wrong that’s a Costco error.

you have zero obligation here.

1 Like

What? Are you drinking the third bottle right now?

Michael, if I interpreted your reply in the wrong way, my apology.

Keep it, laugh about as you drink it. It was someone’s mistake. Feel good about yourself for getting something for nothing.

Wow.

Now, I have to take bad my previous reply. You are indeed having a dirty mind when thinking about others. Again, if I want to keep it I won’t post here to ask for help. Have a good day sir, and do not talk to me.

So let me summarize. You get a bottle for free. You don’t know what the right thing to do is. You post here. I make fun of your lack of scruples and you think I am the bad guy. Do I have that right?

Too early for Berserker HOF thread?

1 Like

It’s not a dirty game – they gifted you a bottle of Palmer. You have 0 obligation to do anything with it.

Michael, please read my post. After confirming there is an extra bottle, I called Costco right way to let them get me a return label so that I can return it. I was told I can ONLY return in in person (18hr drive) or pay for the extra bottle. I did made it clear to them that I am not local, there is no way for me to return it in person. I am simply posting here to see if there is another way to get this resolved. If you think the fact I don’t want to drive 18hrs to return a wine caused by other’s mistake is lacking of scruples. Yes, I think you are the bad guy.

3 Likes

I am suspicious of packing an open crate in a suitcase and not realizing you have a third bottle. And in your first post you said Costco called you. Your story has changed.

Tell them you’ll return it next time you visit a Costco and that it could be in 2 months or 2 years from now.