Thanksgiving 2021: What wines are you opening?

A little teaser for myself before our Willamette trip 12/8-12/12. What are you all having?

1 Like

Pretty tame wines all things considered… Possibly Phillipponnat Royal Reserve Brut as well.

2019 Domaine Anita Moulin-à-Vent Reine de Nuit
2019 Scott Kelley Pinot Gris
2019 Prosper Maufoux Bourgogne
2019 Conundrum Wines Red 10th Anniversary
2019 Wwe. Dr. H. Thanisch (Erben-Thanisch) Berncasteler Doctor Riesling Kabinett
2014 Oremus Tokaji Aszú 3 Puttonyos

I’m sure there will be a game-time decision on 1-2 more, but for now, I plan to open:

2020 Morgon
Louis Roederer 242

Cheap, old wine. Pairs well with me.

Need to game plan for the week still. Combination of things to come.

Ruinart Champ
Some american Pinot…Kutch, Failla, Anthill Farms…

Oh yeah. Some Riesling

Since I will be in Burgundy, definitely Chardonnay and Pinot. I will figure out someway to have at least one German Riesling so I don’t go into shock.

3 Likes

Blanc de Blancs Champagne or perhaps the Ultramarine BdB. We’re having lobster rather than turkey.

2 Likes

2018 Lapierre Morgon

Evolving. Definitely a Zin in the mix. Pinot? Most likely a Chardonnay, or a Carricante (I think the Aeris '18 would be stellar with Turkey), maybe a Chenin (Sandlands?) in the mix. Perhaps a sparkler? Decisions, decisions …

Having the Goodfellow Pinot Gris and Brickhouse Pinot Noir.

1 Like

I’m visiting Marcus on our trip, and just confirmed a tasting appointment at Brick House :slight_smile:

I’m going to start the day with Keller’s 2014 auction Hipping kabinett and Lauer’s 2013 Fass 8 kabi. Then I’ve gonna open the Kuhling-Gilot 2017 Pettenthal and Hipping side by side as I’m trying to figure out how I think about their wines. I’ve got Anne Gros echezeaux from ‘07/‘09 and a ‘12 Bruno Clair clos st Jacques for the bird, and then I’m gonna check in on Willi Schaefer’s 2016 auction spat to end the night.

2 Likes

Where do you live? neener

Please post notes, especially on the K-G Pettenthal/Hipping comparison.

You a big K-G fan? Been buying for a while and I’ve liked them, but tried a few Battenfeld Spanier recently and been totally blown away. I’m wondering whether I’ve been missing the best part of the portfolio.
A

I only just had my first K-G (2019 Pettenthal) last week and loved it.

1998 Musar

1 Like

2016 Gary Farrell Rochioli Chardonnay
2020 Tercero Outlier
2017 Bethel Heights Aeolian Pinot Noir

plus a game time decision or 2

I’m cooking a rotisserie Turkey lightly smoked with a small amount of Maple wood on a Kamado Joe.

Nothing is finalized yet but I’m learning towards:

2004 Krug (apertif);
2018 Ferren Chardonnay Frei Road and/or 2018 Accendo Cellars Sauvignon Blanc; and
2013 Keplinger Mars.

2019 Groth Sauvignon Blanc for the white drinkers.

2010 Bedrock Wine Co. Heirloom Wine Pagani Ranch for the few that care.

2016 Au Bon Climat Pinot Noir Knox Alexander because I want to.

dh