TN: 2005 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis Vieilles Vignes

• 2005 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis (11/22/2021)
    When COVID hit in 2020 I grabbed a bunch of really good bottles to open ASAP. Some really good stuff got opened, but this one sat there, waiting as usual for the “right” moment. Well that moment never really comes, so eventually a cork has to be pulled. Tonight the Durand has been put to use.

A quick, small pour to check condition, and I am all smiles. It’s not in any way fully mature, but it’s comforting, like a warm blanket on a cold night. Cinnamon, cherry, a touch of forest floor, even a little bit of for tree come out in just the first few sniffs.

Two hours after opening it actually hasn’t changed much. I loved the way it smelled right after pulling the cork, so it’s definitely not a problem, but I am surprised that there hasn’t been some movement. The palate is sweetly fruity on entry, then the savory/developed tones enter at the mid-palate. It still has some notable structure, and given the lack of development with two hours of air I am inclined to let my other bottles rest for several more years. It’s a delicious wine now, and I have no regrets (other than financial!) opening it, but I do think there are better things coming down the road.

A final word, as it seems like I was not overly impressed. This is the trap with wines of outsized reputations. The expectations are bigger than the wine can ever be. This particular bottle was delicious, but it didn’t alter my consciousness. That’s OK. The wine did enough. It was a $40 bottle when it was released.

Posted from CellarTracker