Help with This Wine List

It looks like we’ll be meeting another couple here this Saturday. Any recommendations for Italian red, white or bubbly, keeping the bottle price under $100? We will probably order 2 bottles. I know next to nothing about Italian wines.

https://www.lunablurestaurant.com/drinks-2/

Among reds, there are a bunch over $100 and a bunch I’m not familiar with.

If it were me, the red I’d pick is is the Nozzole CCR '16 at $52.

What do you normally like to drink? There are a few interesting choices, but it all depends on what you enjoy.

After a lifetime of drinking mostly domestic reds (pinot noir, cab, zin, syrah), the last few years we’ve moved more toward bubbles, chablis and alternative whites, while still drinking the aforementioned reds. We would love to explore lesser known regions and varieties.

The Ca’ del Bosco Franciacortia Brut is a good sparkler, made in the champagne method. It is a fair restaurant price at $75. I don’t find any of the whites particularly compelling and don’t know enough about the reds to comment.

the i custodi etna rosso 2010 for $70 is very fair. retails around $45 these days, not to mention the wines are terrific. also if you have not tried a wine from volcanic terroir before, you will be in for quite a treat!

Also the Col D’Orcia 2016 Rosso di Montalcino is a good buy and a great
Vintage

It’s always tough for me picking wines at an Italian restaurant but since you have the list ahead of time you can do some research to try to find something that sounds appealing. Make sure you have a few options because a lot of time the wine list is out of date and they may not have what you had picked out.

I’ve had Villa Sandi Prosecco before and it can be pretty decent for Prosecco, their Cartizze is very good but that’s not likely what they’re serving.

For the reds I’d try to pick our some older, reasonably priced wines that you can find some reviews on to see if it’s up your alley. The Sandrone Nebbiolo looks good to me and gets consistent professional and CT reviews around 90.

Well, if you’re looking for things that are off the beaten path, I’d second the reccomendation of the '10 I Custodi. I’ve never had one with that much age, but their reds are very pretty, lighter-styled bottles that often scratch the Burgundy itch. If it’s been stored well, I think the price on it is pretty attractive as well. If you’re looking for whites, neither Caprai nor Russiz are my favorite producers, but their certainly well-made renditions of some grapes that sound like they’d be new to you and therefore fun and interesting. Expect good brightness from both. Other than that, the Crognolo might be a good fit if you’re looking for a medium/fuller-bodied red. The '14 is going to be a little lighter than some years, but it’s definitely not a shy wine and it’s a solid producer.

I’d look at the Jermann Pinot Grigio and the Terre Brune for a red. I haven’t had Terre Brune for a long while, but historically it has been a terrific Carignan and how often do you get to drink a good Sardinian wine?

After looking at the list as others have mentioned I think that the I Custodi is the bargain on the list and a great wine which I’ve had many times including the 2010. Others to consider are the Col D’Orcia Rosso possibly the Cogno Barbaresco but you would have to call ahead and have them decant it for you several hours before coming in. Also as a big sparkling fan I second the Franciacorta rec. Enjoy your dinner :wine_glass:

1 Like

Cogno Barbaresco is a good choice.

1 Like

I would suggest the 2016 Congo Barbaresco, it’s under your price and should go well with the food.

For the white, I’d suggest the Franciacorta Brut. Bubbles pair well with almost everything…

1 Like

I had the '11 Masi amarone at a restaurant last week. Not bad, but it was $89 vs. $110.

I’ve never had either of these, but these are the two I would really want to try:

2015 Villa Russiz Ribolla Giala $62

2009 Capra Sagrantino di Montefalco 25th Anniversary $175

I very much like the two varieties [Ribolla Giala & Sagrantino], they’re both authentically Italian, they’re both from big blowsy fruit-driven vintages, they’re both starting to get just enough cellar time to be interesting, and they both have very good Cellar Tracker notes.

It would be a real shame to go to an Italian restaurant and order a Chardonnay & a Bordeaux variety “Super Tuscan”.