Mytik Diam?

Pulled this out of a bottle of Pierre Peters Rose and boy did it fight me. Never heard of it. Anyone know anything about it?

I’ve had a couple that were infected with TCA.

Unlikely.

I thought that was pretty much impossible in these?

Yup.

Me, too. But it’s not. Not once, but twice. Unmistakable.

Honestly don’t believe it.

In my experience Diam has never been corked. Very occasionally the wine under it is corked from a problem in the winery, though.

Mytik is DIAM’s sparkling wine composition cork closure. They have a few variants of it with different OTRs. Much like how regular DIAM has DIAM 5, 10, and 30, there’s Mytik 3, 5, and 10.

Overall, in my limited experience with them, Mytik corks do seem ‘denser’ than traditional champagne corks and will put up more of a fight as you describe I take that as a positive sign in its ability to retain CO2 over time, but only time will tell. Curious to know if anyone has had something that’s been aged under Mytik for a while.

re: corked DIAM: FWIW, a while back Larry described an experience in tasting through some wines closed under DIAM wines where one of the DIAM corks appeared to have some noticeable traces of TCA. So it seems like it can happen, although DIAM’s odds of being contaminated with TCA are much lower than regular corks https://wineimport.discoursehosting.net/t/who-is-using-diam/132715/124

I’ll lose sleep over this. pepsi

[cheers.gif]

Overall I think our palates are nearly 180 degrees misaligned, so it’s not worth trying to come to any agreement…on anything.

To answer OP’s question these have been around for I would say around a decade or so, if not more. I believe Peters was one of the early adopters. They can be incredibly tight indeed, but my experiences have been 100% positive.

Oliver,

True - but highly unlikely these days. This was definitely more common a double of decades ago when we didn’t realize the connection between chlorine cleaners and old wooden pallets and TCA. There is the random old barrel that can be infected, but that’s incredibly rare as well.

The concept that an underlying wine is effected due to systemic issues is so rare these days - nothing I’ve heard over over the past decade at least. Are you familiar with any specifics, Oliver?

Cheers.

Brian,

Was the wine affected or did you just smell the cork? As Rodrigo pointed out, I did post about a situation where the top of the DIAM had been affected but the part that touched the wine did not. Now in all honesty, if I was at a restaurant and I just smelled that cork, I would return the wine even if the wine was not noticeably affected.

Cheers

I can believe the bottle was corked, but I do not believe it was due to the Mytik. There are more ways than just the cork for a wine to acquire TCA.

Tony,

As I mentioned above, there is always a chance that a wine is ‘corked’ due to something other than TCA these days, but it is very very rare . . . and it would normally affect all wines in that it would be a systemic issue.

Can you point to any specific wines or situations you have experienced yourself recently or in the past few years with regards to this

I’m just hammering this point because it seems like it’s almost become a ‘conventional wisdom’ - if we hear it often enough, it has to be true, right? [snort.gif]

Cheers

As much as I wish I were a billionaire super hero, a la Tony Stark, I am, alas, known as Troy. Though, feel free to refer to me as Ironman, if you’d like. I like the sound of that better than Tony (no offense to anyone named Tony). [snort.gif]

Back on topic: I personally have never experienced TCA in a wine bottled with a DIAM or Mytik cork. I am just saying my mind is able to comprehend a situation in which someone else, for reasons other than the cork, might have that experience. In short, I just don’t think we should be too quick to call Brian a liar or say we don’t believe him. He is the only person in the thread who had the experience he’s describing, after all.

Troy,

Sorry about that - and I agree that there could be reasons why Brian or someone else might pick up whiffs of either TCA or aromas that may be similar in a wine under DIAM. See the link that Rodrigo posted above about my experiences.

The other point to make here - and this does not relate to Brian as I know he understands the situation - but there are many wine consumers, including knowledgable ones, who cannot accurately assess whether a wine is corked or not, and may confuse other aromas for TCA. I hear this all the time - and it’s not uncommon at all.

Cheers

1 Like

This bottle of Peters was about 10 years old and the cork certainly did its job: lots of effervescence. What’s peculiar, considering the resistance pulling it, the bottom wasn’t particularly flanged.

I’ve definitely experienced flawed wine from under a DIAM. naturally the assumption is it was a problem in the winery and not the cork, but hard to say how one bottle ends up flawed and the rest aren’t?