What producer do you have the most bottles of that you haven't tried yet?

Last night I opened a very good 2014 Berthaut Gerbet Fixin Les Crais - immediately the nose had all kind of floral notes, and the taste - muted and dissolute at first - came together after an hour to provide a wonderfully spicy, complex experience that on night two really went into overtime. Good persistence, right in the center of the earthy vs. ethereal spectrum. And when I was a couple of sips in, I wondered when I’d last had a Berthaut Gerbet – I have 24 bottles of it representing 6 vintages and 8 cuvées - and the answer turned out to be NEVER. Somehow I have been buying this wine for three years and backfilling too without having cracked a bottle to make sure I actually, y’know, liked it.
So: whew. I like it. A lot. I lean on some smart critics and tasters to suggest what I should explore, but this is the most crazy example in my cellar of something I went deep into before tasting it. Made me wonder if other people have done similar stuff or not. Is there a well-represented producer in your cellar you haven’t tried yet?

Several cases of LMHB 2005 and LLC 2000.

Andremily, but I’m fixing that on Thursday :slight_smile:

1 Like

Soliste. I have 18 bottles, based on recommendations from this forum, and I have yet to try one.
Now that I’m thinking of it, I should set one out to open For Thanksgiving.

Huh, that’s an interesting one. Had to think a bit about it but turns out it’s Carter. I have 28 bottles but am waiting on them for another few years. I probably won’t be buying much if any from them as I’m ramping down on those types of wines.

biggest 7 bottles of Lillian, but I have had many Antica Terra and a Coriolis. Guess that’s not too bad.

I was just wondering this same question recently. Until last week it was Grand Puy Lacoste with 18 bottles, but I just had the wonderful 2000.

Now it is Hudelot-Noellat with 12, which I will rectify this week. I’m perversely hoping there’s no magic, since I’m trying to bring $/bottle down, and am just dipping my toe into burgundy. pileon [head-bang.gif]

1 Like

I didn’t look through the whole cellar list, but I doubt I have more than 2-3 bottles (out of 1200 or so) from any producer that I haven’t tried wine from. I have some newer vintages I haven’t tried from producers I normally like, which I get, but why buy wine in quantity that you’ve never tried and don’t know if you like them?

I bought 3 or 4 cases of Goodfellow before opening a bottle. Next closest was a case (well 2 cases because the ones I got were cases of 6 bottles) of Dom Perignon.

4+ cases of Odoul Coquard 1er & GC’s

Coincidentally Glen, I do have a bit of Berthaut-Gerbet of which I’ve only had a few bottles of '12 Fixin Les Crais which was made by Amalie’s father, so haven’t opened any of the wines she now makes.

1 Like

Chevillon. But I guess with NSG you’re in for the long haul.

I always pop open a bottle of a new producer even if it’s woefully young. I made the mistake before of buying a bunch of something others like and then figuring out I don’t love the style.

1 Like

I have 15 bottles of Kinsman Eades, plan on opening my first bottle next month over the holidays.

8 bottles of the ‘18 DICO…bought some to try on BD, then every tasting note implored not to open. Combine with vintage and producer hype, shutdown, berserker business support sale, etc. ended up buying a few more. At this point, we’ll see if that works out in a few years, but I have no intention of buying this quantity without tasting again.

Previous winners for this topic, ‘10 LRA Ardanza Reserva Seleccion Especial and ‘15 Argentiera Bolgheri Superior (11 bottles of each) proved to be excellent newhere

This is the correct answer.

2 Likes

Yup.

+1. For that matter, most wines these days are pretty enjoyable on release even if they’re likely to shut down in a few years.

I think the actual number for me is three bottles of Amiot-Servelle that I just never got around to trying.

I do wonder about this. I suppose if you try something and it’s just not your style, then now you know. But what if it’s not “bad” (to you), just too tannic, or shut down, primary, etc? Do you keep buying, especially if it’s an expensive producer? As someone newer to the hobby, I don’t have a lot of personal experience for how a wine might age over 10-20 years. For this reason, I often try to get something with age via auction or library sales.

Open it tomorrow

I’ve got about two cases of The Third Twin that are years away from me trying and I’m probably done buying them unless the do a Syrah. I’ve got about two cases of his sons wine also Faethm/Fingers crossed that I’ll likely start dipping into next year. Lastly I finally made Tom Seaver’s list in 18 and got 8 bottles. I’ve never had any but TRB made so I know I’ll love em but Diamond Mountain so I know I’ll wait at least 10 before trying one