TN: 2014 Brokenwood Sémillon ILR Reserve

Still very pale and unevolved. The nose has a whiff of buttered toast and some lemon. The palate is so direct, cool and linear. It oozes citrus and has a light grassiness and a suggestion of mint. It is so focused and long and just may live forever under screwcap.

Thx Jeremy, I really hate corks but Hunter Semillon under screw cap seems to go into some vinous form of suspended animation.

I had a 2005 Tyrrells Vat 1 last year and it needs at least another 10 years , barely evolved.

cheers Brodie

A friend of mine brought a bottle of this back from Australia for me, but alas it broke in his luggage. (Fortunately the Graveyard Syrah and the Wendouree he brought back survived!)

Brokenwood graveyard is a special wine. I think I still have a bottle of graveyard Cabernet from before when they grafted over it. They shouldn’t have.

Love the Brokenwood semillons…not always easy to find in the States.

Brokenglass

1 Like

Great note as always Jeremy! I had a 2009 this past summer which was my first Hunter Valley Sémillon and i dug it even more than I thought I would. Still very young and acid driven but so damn tasty. As others have mentioned, they’re not super easy to get here in the states but I’ve been able to snag a couple more 09’s and a few 13’s. To me, its one of those ‘buy on the spot’ kinda wines if I ever see them.

Hi Rich, I’m glad some of these are making it to your shores.

Unfortunately Australia often gets painted with the ‘oozemonster brush’, which couldn’t be further from the truth as to what us locals drink when we drink locally.

1 Like