2000 Vieux Chateau Certan

This is extremely good, one of the great success’ of the vintage. What I love about the modern vintages of VCC, is that they carry a core of freshness along with a seamless density. Excellent finish, a really pretty wine.

Good as it is, having had the 1998 twice in the last month, I think there is a gap between the two. The 2000 does not quite have the impact and finish of the older wine.

A few months ago I had l’Evangile 2000, outstanding ( 94/100) wine but something ( more complexity, depth or concentration of flavours) was missing to consider it as truly great.

Agreed, same with Trotanoy, l’Evangile and Magdelaine. The 98 is another gear.

How well is 98 drinking now? Thinking I should wait as I only have one

There is a wine that you only have 1 of? :rofl:

Haha go figure

1 Like

It’s really good. You should probably drink it, and then you can buy a bunch more.

1 Like

Not as easy as you think. It is a superb wine, but getting quite hard to find. I have had it twice recently, once blind where it was the most impressive wine there, and once quietly at home, where we had a chance to watch it develop over a couple of hours. It really is very special indeed. I ended up buying some in Europe, but it is now trading for around $300.

Don’t be surprised if he shows up on the “What have you purchased?” thread with a 3-case buy. [cheers.gif]

I wish.

We had it in a Zoom tasting several months ago and I bought four bottles before we finished the tasting. Anyway, I’m sure Michael will be successful if he’s morivated.

I bought two bottles on release and recently drank the first. It was one of the best bottles of Bordeaux I’ve had in years. Given the current pricing, I asked here if any other producers are regarded as baby-VCC’s and was politely told no. I’m still holding some 2000 and 2005, and will wait on that last 98.

I’d try yours and buy more if you like it.

Any VCC-heads here with recent insights on the 2001?