TN: 2015 Chateau Canon

I assume eventually it may no longer be cool to be uncool and contrarian about these modern Bordeaux, but damn I did not like this wine. Sure, some of that could be vestiges of the past, knowing what this wine once was, but a merlot-dominant Bordeaux clocking in at 15%+ just ain’t for me. I found this massively-extracted, lush wine to be gloppy and clumsy. The Somm even called out “raisins,” which was apropos to me. Not the most ideal time to check in on a Bordeaux but when a friend brings it to dinner, a friend must drink it, right? CT notes are glowing over this wine, even very recent notes. FWIW, I have not liked a single St Em from 2015, even the Ausone teetered over the brink to me. If you like this modernized style of Bordeaux, I actually think the 2014 and 2016 Canon are both better, with 2016 by far the winner of the trio.

3 Likes

A thoughtful “Hmmmmmmmm” from me. Meaning, interesting. I bought a few of these. But have no intention of opening one for many years. I also have had too many gloppy lush St. Emilions over the last 10-15 years, so this worries me. Do wines like this resolve i to neauty with age? Hmmmmm.

Sounds dreadful. I assume various critics have it at 99 points though…

Just checked, and it’s worse than I thought! 100 pts from NM, AG, Suckling, 98 JD (clearly he was let down), 97 Decanter!

With such overwhelming market forces aimed against it, what chance does traditional wine making stand?

That’s hardly shocking given your palate preferences. I have had this recently and loved it, but if you don’t like bigger bdx you wouldn’t like it. You did like the 17 le pin, though haha

1 Like

Very much agree but that is not the point of my post…can you please stop mentioning the 2014 vintage in every one of your post! Every time you say 2014, it “triggers” me to go buy another case of 2014 Bordeaux. STOP, the kids will have no Christmas!

Don’t you say with virtually every Bordeaux “I actually think the 2014 and 2016 [x] are both better, with 2016 by far the winner of the trio”???

Not at all arguing that you are wrong. I tasted a mess of 2015s at a Union des Grands Cru Bordeaux a few years back and most of the 2015s I had that night were soft with insufficient acidity. Have not been drinking any since so don’t know if they have gained any structure but still the comment applies.

Haven’t yet tried Canon. Was curious to do so given recent praise, but stopped after seeing the alc %.

I had Canon 2000 which was clearly in “old style”, lower alcohol and extract, would be much better to your preferences.

Interesting. I bought a couple of these when released, mostly based on Martin’s enthusiasm (and the fact that they were $80 at the time), but fully cognizant of the possibility that they would be as you describe.

Will trade for more mannered bdx lol.

Had a 2008 recently and it was awful. No tipicity and a wall of over concentrated jammy fruit. It went great to finish a meatball sauce.

Have you tried Beau-Sejour Becot?

I bought some based on your recommendations but have not popped one yet. Definitely looking forward to this one.

Ha true, but here I have direct, recent experience with all three.

Robert, Have you had the 2010? It’s also 15%, and I liked it, although on the upper end of my size preference. Curious if you’d say more like the 15 or 16, neither of which I have opened yet.

Sorry Vince, I have not. I avoided most right banks in 2010 given the higher ABVs we saw. I only bought Magdelaine in St Ems and then some Pomerols, like VCC. I have not tried the VCC, either.

It’s probably not much of a surprise to say I love the wine. I was one of the first to taste it in 2016 and found it to be a mind-blowing tasting experience.

I’ve tasted it at least 6 or more times since then with consistent results.

2 Likes

Ultimate sex bomb! [wow.gif]

Kidding aside, I always appreciate your notes as I can tell what I like and what I won’t. Check out Jeff’s notes on the 2016 in comparison to the 2015. Leaving aside the few points difference, it should not surprise why a #snowflake palate like mine would migrate toward the 2016 and run from the 2015. Jeff’s last 3 notes on the 2016 are about freshness, energy and red fruits.

It’s intellectual sex bomb, not ultimate. :grin:

I love both years and the 2016 scores almost as high as the 15, 98 V 100. My bet is, as these wines age, they will become legendary vintages of Canon. And as I bought some for me cellar, I’m in on that bet.

1 Like

Intellectual sex bombs??? Seems more like Burgundies to me. [cheers.gif] neener

I would have been shocked if Robert liked the 2015 as much as the 2014 and 2016, and I would have been shocked if Jeff liked the 2014 and 2016 as much as the 2015.