Thoughts on wine suitcases ?

I’ve looked at them and contemplated whether it’s worth it or not.

I don’t think I’d ever fly to vacation spot with wine from home. I’d strictly be using this to bring a few bottles back from travelling… whenever traveling becomes safely available again.

It seems like shipping wine back is a hassle.

I have the Wine Enthusiast one, it’s a little cheaper than the other model that’s out there and seems to do about the same thing. Very handy for trips to wine country and I used it for a family trip to Florida where we stayed in a VRBO so I could have some decent wine down there.

I don’t think I’d ever fly to vacation spot WITHOUT wine from home, they come in handy both ways.

3 Likes

https://thewinecheck.com/shop/ols/products/the-wine-check-wmini-logo-with-shipper-boxinsert

This is what I have. It gets the job done, though aesthetically not as discreet as some other options out there.

Thumbs up on wine suitcases, have two. Great for bringing wine back from trips and great for bringing wine on vacation and golf trips. Vingarde Valise is my preferred option, but I’ve seen many others that get the job done. For shorter trips I can repurpose half of the shell for clothes.

Agree. Makes the experience better and don’t have to buy from a local shop that doesn’t have what we want! [cheers.gif]

Which insert do you go with?

Cool to see people so into them. Bought a Valise right before covid, so haven’t traveled with it yet. Lol, rip.

Styro

Looks a bit more secure with styro

This is what you get:

I have the 1440. They actually make a wine insert for it that holds 8 bottles. But you don’t need to buy that. I just use bubble wrap and I can fit a whole case in. Just need to watch the weight.

Anyway, these things are indestructible. News teams use them for expensive camera equipment. Bands use them for expensive electronics. Construction workers use them. They’re used to ship vaccines.

And of course you can also use them for general travel suitcases - they are far better than the “hard” sided cases if you have anything fragile. I’ve taken home porcelain and other things that needed protection. If you’re only taking a few bottles, just wrap the bottles some jeans or t shirts or whatever. Mine has flown all over the world to me and it’s always going to have some wine in it.

1 Like

I use a pelican for my camera gear actually! Brought it on a winter dog sledding trip.

I’d avoid it. Agree it gets the job done but it’s far from user friendly and a pain in the ass to drag around.

I bought a vingarde a year or so ago when they were blowing them out for $125 a piece, been a gem to use, wine check is collecting dust in the attic.

I have the VinGardeValise. My primary residence is in NYC and I have my wine there, but I’m frequently at a getaway house in Miami. I’d say I do that trip about 30-40 times a year and bring the VinGardeValise about a third to half the time. It’s great. I’ve never had a broken bottle and it’s incredibly easy to deal with, even with 12 bottles in it. I’d highly recommend it.
Alex

I plan to get one of these next time I do international wine travel. The Wine Check was a gift, but indeed it’s not as compact as I’d like.

I use a pelican for my camera gear actually! Brought it on a winter > dog sledding > trip.

Cool! Dog sledding! [wow.gif]

Another VinGarde user. Worked well on our trip to Sonoma in October. The only issue was weight. 12 bottles put us well over 50lbs. What’s nice about the VinGarde is that the inserts can be removed. Next time I’d probably use half for wine and the other half as a regular suit case for clothes.

1 Like

Good fun, but you come back sore from being knock around the entire day.

Depends a little on how you use it. I’ve taken a wine check several times, and really like it. Yes, it can be a little more squirely to pull around, but it’s not that bad. For the cost differential, it’s a good choice. If it was easier to find styro inserts in europe, would be a no-brainer, but you pretty much have to take it already packed with an insert. Domestically it’s easier, and no big deal to just fold it up on the way out, and find an insert for the trip home.

I got the 12 bottle version during the blowout and I’ve used it twice so far and love it.