Has Anyone Tried Tunnel's Pur Noir?

There always seems to barely any if any at all available on WS and CT typically shows well less than 100 bottles of any vintage in the community inventory. Has anyone tried these? I just received a 6pk of the 19s and would definitely open one if I thought it might show well young. Just looking for some drinking guidance on these beyond what I see from a few of the critics.

1 Like

I haven’t tried the Pur Noir but I own a couple bottles of the 2015 and one 2018. With the 2015s, I had actually purchased what were advertised as the Vin Noir at $50 each, and it was a nice surprise to receive the Pur Noir instead! The 2018 I snagged on winebid.

If you open a 2019 please do share your thoughts!

I had a bottle of the 2006 a couple of weeks ago, a single bottle, purchased from Stefan Robert at the Marche d’Ampuis on Jan 2008 after tasting it.
It was very good, and it seems a good time to drink it. My impression is that his wines are clean and somewhat modern, but this certainly had plenty of NRhone character.

1 Like

Thanks to you both and given I have a second 6pk on the way…probably worth sacrificing one in the name of science. I’ll report back in the coming weeks.

According to Jeb Dunnuck, 2019 is not an early drinking vintage. I have some 2015’s. I haven’t tried them. Too young. The 2019 vintage is a very tannic but good vintage. I wouldn’t waste a bottle. [cheers.gif]

Hi Justin, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed with your purchases. I’ve not had the 2019 Pur Noir but I’ve had each of the vintages 2014-2016, and, I think, the 2017 after local release, and they’ve all been terrific. Unfortunately I didn’t find time to post any of my notes on CT. The 2016, I think it was, in particular, was a very special wine.

Pur Noir is Tunnel’s reserve wine and I don’t believe Robert would put it out if it wasn’t of sufficient quality for the label.

One option is to get and open one of Tunnel’s lower tier 2019 wines eg Vin Noir. They tend to be very consistent through the hierarchy.

Cheers.

1 Like

Rumor has been these were Juge’s oldest vines, which he leased to Robert on retirement. Either the source of the old SC or CC bottlings, or a portion thereof, I’m not sure which.

I’ve never tried Pur Noir, but given the house style I’d be very surprised if the 2019 wasn’t tight and closed.
If you don’t mind rolling the dices then go for it, you’ll still have 5 bottles left anyway.
But 99% chance this won’t show much.

Alain

I usually get a taste of Stéphan Roberts Pur Noir when visiting the Marché in Ampuis. He doesn’t pour it officially but you usually get a taste if you ask for it. It’s similar to the Vin Noir, but definitely a step up in persistence, depth and length. I haven’t tasted any '19 yet and unfortunately won’t as the Marché this year has been postponed. But if you have a 6P I strongly recommend to try one and get a look at it while it’s still primary, it shouldn’t be closed down yet.

I usually get a taste of Stéphan Roberts Pur Noir when visiting the Marché in Ampuis. He doesn’t pour it officially but you usually get a taste if you ask for it. It’s similar to the Vin Noir, but definitely a step up in persistence, depth and length. I haven’t tasted any '19 yet and unfortunately won’t as the Marché this year has been postponed. But if you have a 6P I strongly recommend to try one and get a look at it while it’s still primary, it shouldn’t be closed down yet.

I recently picked up a bunch of '15 vin noir and pur noir and decided to try a bottle of the vin noir this evening. I realize 15s can be finicky right now. Initial pour had me a bit scared that this was a shut down tannic DFWM beast like the 15 cuchet-belliando, but it opened up fairly quickly. The nose is great with some higher toned violets along with a deeper dark cherry. The palate is dense and meaty with darker fruits and earth, the finish still fairly tannic but not incredibly clenched. Certainly enjoyable now though its best days are definitely ahead of it. Looking forward to trying the Pur!

1 Like