Cork collection

Who here collects/keeps their wine corks? Any favorite vessels for storage/display? Or do you use them for arts, crafts or some other purpose?

Trying to decide whether to get rid of (at least some of) what I’ve collected or find something to store them in.
Cheers
[cheers.gif]

I have thousands I think. Just sitting there. Hopefully someone has an epic idea.

I just dropped off a grocery bag’s worth at WF.

A person can use only a certain number of trivets.
Recycle them at your local grocery store.

I keep mine too. Just try to find the largest glass vases/hurricanes I can and pile them in there…

We keep them but are building up a lot. Currently store them in a large frog jar (long story) and a couple of ziploc bags. Older corks - from like 8-10 years ago- have been made into trivets and bulletin boards (some of these have cringingly mass market labels). When we finally create a wine room we’d like to use them for part of the wall of a cellar.

1 Like

Have saved a bunch that are ‘interesting’ in that they aren’t just a generic or unlabeled cork. I’ve got a couple big Ikea glass vases that they go into. However, there are too many, I don’t have any grand plans for a better way to display. At some point I’ll need to get rid of a bunch. Good to know that they can be recycled…

Same. I have a couple huge glass vessels that look like an enormous brandy snifter that I toss them into. A few years ago, I had a dogsitter who was a crafter and asked if she could have some; I told her to take as many as she liked and she emptied one of the containers. So I have been filling it back up again lol.

If you decide to get rid of them, and have any with birds, perhaps consider donating them to Gila. See this thread:

Mine end up in the compost bin.

I save mine. I want to eventually mount them all in a (likely custom) picture frame with labels facing out as a reminder to all the great wines/ wineries we’ve enjoyed over the years.

1 Like

First, I put special ones along the back splash of the kitchen counter. Then my wife made a couple Christmas wreaths. Now, I put them in a basket and when it is full, I use them for fireplace kindling.

1 Like

Anytime the topic comes up about proudly displaying empty bottles or corks, I am reminded of this sketch:

2 Likes

House insulation? Pipe wrap? Shoe moisture absorbants?

I have an oak barrel that is full of corks but I recently bought this from Wine Enthusiast and I like this better because it has more visible surface area and it works as an end table.
IMG_9533.jpeg
IMG_9534.jpeg

3 Likes

That’s basically what I have except it’s full and another side basket is full also. I need something to do with them to get them out of the baskets!

That’s my plan as well. I need to get busy and get it done. Cheers!

We dump corks into the cork garden in our front patio. A picture of it is my BWE avatar.

stefan

A friend of mine has an idea-he’s collecting all of his corks and when he has enough he is going to attach/glue them to ceiling above his bar. The area is not terribly big-maybe 8’ x 4’ but it is going to take a lot of corks-but I think it will look pretty good when it is done.

First post but signed in to contribute and share what we’ve done with our corks. After a few years of keeping corks in bowls/vases, we put our corks in hollow base lamps from Target. The smaller one is new; my plan is to use it specifically for champagne corks (plus have an excuse for drinking more bubbles).

I think I need a better long term plan beyond buying more lamps.
6CF7A342-6CB1-4776-AC4F-0EC3BE3009A7.jpeg
5A8A5CE7-72BA-47B0-BC61-06DA7728A0D0.jpeg

1 Like