Napa tasting: Big wines that won’t upset somebody who prefers more nuance

Hopefully the subject line gets at what I’m trying to accomplish. Where would the brain trust recommend visiting in Napa with the understanding that some of our group prefers full throttle 15-16% Napa Cab and would like to be thrown a bone on a visit or two… Which such places will most WBers find the most interesting and worthwhile? As the “wine guy,” I’m in charge of planning…

Chappellet immediately comes to mind, cool facility, beautiful views, friendly staff, and the wines can straddle either side of that line.

1 Like

If the rest of the group aren’t “wine guys” but casually enjoy that bigger style, I’d recommend going places that are interesting visits in their own right. There are many wineries with really beautiful facilities, interesting art/architecture, with tasting/pairing menus that do that “bigger” or modern style Napa wine. Hall, Davis Estates, B Cellars come to mind.

If you can get into Mayacamas at the mountain winery, it’s such an incredible experience. The wines may be a shock to your group’s palates but the experience alone will convert everyone (based on my personal experience with a bunch of non-winos).

And of course Rivers-Marie is a fantastic tasting, nice setting in Calistoga, and the wines should have broad appeal.

1 Like

Pride is a great visit with cave tours and drop dead beautiful views

3 Likes

I’d recommend Scarlett.
Over Thanksgiving holiday I opened a Scarlett Cab 2018 for the first time. It was supposed to be paired with the Turf part of a Surf & Turf meal, but the Turf met with disaster in the kitchen. I opened it 2 hours before dinner & realized it was a massive, rich wine showing red fruit, blackberry, tannin, a bit of oak and vanilla. It softened a bit by dinner but no one drank much with the lobster. Dessert was served 4 hours after opening the Scarlett and it was still very rich, but silky smooth with nuance, very enjoyable and paired nicely with the flourless choc cake.

I thought it had something for everyone- early it’s big but with time took on a lot of interest. One of the more surprising bottles I’ve tried this year, especially for $70.

I also pour young Elyse Cabs and Bevan Ontogeny for friends that like huge wines, they go over well and I save a glass to drink after they’ve had a couple hours of air.

I was just going to mention Elyse!

1 Like

Pride
Turnbull- great Oakville SVD’s
Dakota Shy- can taste their wines and Detert. I would not classify as full throttle but plenty Napa in style

There’s been some excellent stuff mentioned already and I would throw in Smith-Madrone and Barnett

What I would say though is to focus on your friends having the time of their lives. There are wine bars and views that will capture your attention and still make you happy. When I started treating Napa as an adult Disneyland, I got way more enjoyment from it rather than making it about the wine. I’m far from a Napa drinker and this way of looking at it has made me a bigger fan of Napa visits

Me three!

Napa Valley Wine Merchants

Acme

Both are collectives with a lovely range of options for different palates.

To get into on short notice, in addition to be above recommendations, Davis Family Winery.

Sinegal is a great property with really good wines.

That would seem like a perfect option. Biggish modern wines that still have balance, and the rare winery like that in Napa that still has reasonable pricing and a friendly tasting room.

ill go third on elyse. also because the range of wines and producers offered there- morgado, addax etc.

agreed

I know nothing of the tasting room experience, but Forman came to mind immediately. They regularly clock in around 15% ABV and manage to still taste like Cabernet.

Cliff Lede

Agree with Rivers-Marie but they are not currently pouring any Pinots FYI, just chards and cabs.