TN: 2018 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie)

• 2018 Domaine Jamet Côte-Rôtie - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Côte-Rôtie (1/8/2022)
    Hot take: wine of the vintage. The nose on this is stellar; it’s all classic syrah, more purple than red or black fruit (and to a degree, a bit of jamminess but not in a bad way), intense olive brininess, and a little bit of smoke. Really, it doesn’t get more classic than this. The palate is Allemand-like in its silkiness; almost as if Allemand had made a Côte-Rôtie (i.e. a less feral, slightly brighter-fruited wine). No rough edges, just pure syrah fruit on top of a briny olive note. The tannins are supple and nothing like the brooding nature of the Chave or Allemand Chaillot. Yes, this is very ripe (you’re never going to get away from that) but overall there’s a pervading coolness on the palate from the acidity that balances this out. A fantastic effort and if you were to buy a single 2018 Northern Rhône, this would be it. (95 pts.)
6 Likes

I hope that this is just the vintage speaking to Jamet. Only have had 2008 and earlier Jamet and Jamet had NEVER been less feral and brighter-fruited wine than comparable Allemand to me.

Sounds like we need an Allemand / Jamet athon [winner.gif]

1 Like

If you ever came back from down south….

I actually organized one of those earlier this year that Jayson was at.

I’m in!

I was invited, but I will crash that sh*t!

Had to grab one

FIFY neener

Come to NYC! Mark can treat you to some proper wine and I just took delivery of a bunch of mags of mid 2000s Levet….

1 Like

Lol I don’t drink that much Rhône

if you do it in Chicago I’m in. I have older vintages of both.

I got a few tricks up my sleeve….

Would love to know where you grabbed those mags. I still have one, 2004 mag left.

Let’s get one going. Maybe in the spring?

When is this happening?

The late 90s, early 00s Allemand are fiercely feral. Since then, I feel it’s been dialled back in favour of a luxurious, silky texture. But in my note I was referring to the way I see Côte-Rôtie vs Cornas.

Whoa! Mighty generous score there! Yet another sign of creeping score inflation.

2 Likes

It’s a Berserker maxim: Let no analogy go unchallenged.

1 Like

95 is the new 93.

#SupplyChainInflation

1 Like

I really enjoyed 18 Reynard this week - surprisingly fresh and accessible. Will have to try 18 Jamet - didn’t buy any tho.

If you go to NYC before LA - I will ban you from this forum.

“Transitory” has been retired from my vocabulary. Seriously, give it a few years and I’ll be wearing a scarf and telling you about my villa in Tuscany.

2 Likes