So what 2019 Northern Rhone Syrahs are you buying?

I think it is very hard to navigate these warm vintages, and my collection is now at a point where i “only” expect to add 12-16 bottles per year. So interested in what people are adding and why?

So far i added:

2x Clusel-Roch Les Grandes Places, based on Livingstone’s praise for it and because adding more Clusel-Roch has been on my list for a while.

2x Levet, La Peroline. No reason. It is Levet.

1x Barge Les Cotes. Its Barge and just added one while buying 5x Coeur de Combard 2013.

1x Maison Stephen, Les Binardes. One of the most acclaimed danish sommeliers claimed that this was the best young Côte-Rôtie he ever had. Got me interested. Now i am just unsure if i should drink it or wait.

5x Jamet, CDR. I started adding these from the 2015 vintage to become good cheap everyday wines down the line. They get 8+ years before i start drinking them.

Will probably add some Gallet, Jean-Luc Jamet and Franck Balthazar. And if the wine gods allow it a bottle or two of Gonon and Jamet’s Côte-Rôtie.

So what are you adding and what are you skipping?

1 Like

Well Lasse, you probably won’t be surprised by too many of these. I have bought:

2019 Domaine Jean-Claude Marsanne St. Joseph (6)
2019 Domaine Gallet (Henri et Philippe) Côte-Rôtie (4)
2019 Domaine Joël Champet Côte-Rôtie La Viallière (3)
2019 Domaine Champet Côte-Rôtie Les Fils à Jo (3)
2019 Domaine Chambeyron-Manin Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune (12 - auction purchase, good price)
2019 Domaine Barge Côte-Rôtie Les Cotes (3)
2019 Mickaël Bourg Cornas Les P’tits Bouts (6)
2019 Julien Cecillon Cornas Saint Pierre (3)
2019 Johann Michel Cornas Cuvée Mère Michel (1, for the hell of it)

I aim to buy Guillaume Gilles Cornas, Cuchet-Beliando, and … I don’t know, whatever else!

No idea what else I’m going to buy but so far I’ve bought the following:

Paris Geynale
Gonon Les Iles Feray
Alain Graillot St Joseph
Jamet CdR
Chambeyron-Manin Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune
Domaine de Gouye Saint-Joseph Vieilles Vignes

Well i had to look up Chambeyron-Manin… interesting :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Bought 2019 Gonon Saint-Joseph. No idea why, other than it hit my comfort price point.

Oops, mistake. I bought 3 bottles of the 2019 Chambeyron-Manin Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune (thank you, Lopa); it was the 2017 I bought a case of at auction.

Have bought -

Rousset Crozes “Picaudieres”
Luyton SJ
Luyton Hermitage “Allegresse”
Jacouton SJ “Epine”
Compagnie/Hermitage Crozes
Andre Francois CR “Gerine”
Barge CR “Cotes”
Clusel-Roch “Champon” and “Vaillons” (I got blanked on the GP)
Champet CR “Fils a Jo”
Chambeyron-Manin CR Brune

Several of the above are new producers and/or bottlings to me

Will buy -

Levet

May buy -

Some Cornas if I find a bargain
Barge Coeur de Combard if it exists and I find it at a good price

1 Like

I had a very tasty and chuggable les Vin des Amis (Clape) last week. Better than Barou St Joseph even if in the same style. Wish is wasn’t 50 bucks. Faury VV has settled down nicely, was a little shut down for a few months. Just based on these I think I’ll like '19 a lot more than '18.

Where do we find the 19 Levet?

1 Like

have had it twice so far - it’s absolutely amazing. had high expectations and was blown away.

3 Likes

It’s not in the US yet, if that’s what you’re asking.

Decanting advice?

1 Like

yes! lol. but honestly it’s a bit of a waste unless you have 8-12 bottles. the iles feray is a half-step behind and glorious. i’d hold unless you absolutely have to.

Can you tell me a bit about the Chambeyron-Manin Côte-Rôtie Côte Brune? Is it comparable to anything?

Do you have much experience with these? I got a 2012 in the cellar but never tasted them.

Have bought

Cornas from Balthazar (Chaillot and Casimir)
Cote Rotie from Francois et Fils
Cote Rotie from Bonnefond
Cote Rotie from Burgaud
Saint Joseph from Gonon
Saint Joseph from Montez (cuvee du Papy)
Saint Joseph from Bott

will buy
Cornas from Voge
Cote Rotie from Jamet
Cote Rotie from Levet

and then some other stuff maybe

Zero. Bought this one, my first time with this producer, as a value play and based on a retailer tout. I haven’t even received delivery yet. We’ll see. I’m cautiously optimistic.

2 Likes

Bought 2015’s. I read 2019 are very tannic and needs lots of time, according to Jeb Dunnuck.

2 Likes

Fair enough :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I had a glass of the '14 (Andre Francois CR “Gerine”) at a wine shop when I was in Lyon three years ago. I absolutely loved it in the setting and have been on the lookout (not actively) for something from this producer since. Gotta compare my vacation-mode experience with a more unbiased tasting.

1 Like