2020 Rivers-Marie Offer

Wow, I didn’t realize Rivers-Marie is only releasing one 2020 red wine!

The offer goes live on January 18 and includes:

(3) 2020 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast Chardonnay – $30/btl

(3) 2020 Rivers-Marie Bearwallow Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

(2) 2020 Rivers-Marie Purrington Rued Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

(2) 2020 Rivers-Marie Joy Road Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

(2) 2020 Rivers-Marie Platt Vineyard Chardonnay – $65/btl

(2) 2020 Rivers-Marie B. Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay – $70/btl

(4) 2020 Rivers-Marie Bearwallow Vineyard Pinot Noir – $60/btl

and “Due to the challenges of the calendar year 2020, this will be the only release from the vintage.”

I really respect RM for apparently not releasing wine they can’t confidently stand behind and I guess this is a great opportunity to finally try some RM Chardonnay!

Save the date…1/18

“Due to the challenges of the calendar year 2020, this will be the only release from the vintage.”

2020 Rivers-Marie Sonoma Coast Chardonnay – $30/btl

2020 Rivers-Marie Bearwallow Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

2020 Rivers-Marie Purrington Rued Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

2020 Rivers-Marie Joy Road Vineyard Chardonnay – $60/btl

2020 Rivers-Marie Platt Vineyard Chardonnay – $65/btl

2020 Rivers-Marie B. Thieriot Vineyard Chardonnay – $70/btl

2020 Rivers-Marie Bearwallow Vineyard Pinot Noir – $60/btl

I would usually blind buy…but just wondering how RM fared with these in 2020? [cheers.gif]

Pinot is über sensitive to smoke taint.
As for RM Chards, what have you been waiting for? Winner winner!

Given all the wines they are not releasing this year, I feel enormous confidence that there are no issues with what’s on offer here.

[/quote]

Pinot is über sensitive to smoke taint.
As for RM Chards, what have you been waiting for? Winner winner!
[/quote]

I guess I’ve been waiting for my budget to not be consumed by the Pinots and Cabs haha

1 Like

From R-M’s Summer newsletter:
It looks like the only wines that will make it to bottle are our 5 Chardonnays and the Bearwallow Pinot Noir. The smoke was a little less intense as you headed north up the coast so Anderson Valley looks to have fared well in 2020.

1 Like

Caught me off guard. Trying to cut back a little this year and being able to pass this year is gonna be helpful.

1 Like

I’ll be in for some Chard. It’s not usually my thing, but I do like good ones from time to time. From past experience, any opinions on which of them is “must have”?

Also got offer and thinking of getting some for first time, but is this for me stylistically? Maybe some of the board members can guide me. I like lean, almost austere Chardonnay with no overt oak profiling and probably not above 13% - think Ceritas, Enfield, Arnot-Roberts etc. Is R-M in my wheelhouse, or is more the classic CA Chardonnay in style?

Anyone know how 2020 compared to say 2019/2018 on the Pinot/Chard front?

I’ve had two of Chardonnay at their tasting room and they’re not as austere as Certias/AR for sure.
ABV i think is 13.5%+ but I could be wrong

Probably somewhere between your wheelhouse and classic CA.

I just looked at an older mailer and new-oak levels were between 10% (for the SC) and 35%.

They are definitely not oak monsters or super buttery, but they do have a lot of pure fruit as well as some savory nuance. I usually get a hazelnutty note out of the Theriot that I love.

For the tarriff, the SC is a nice, minimally-oaked place to start.

1 Like

Not usually my thing either, but 3 of the $30s is a qpr no brainer for me, and one of the single vineyards. It’s also my default order for the PN if I’m on the fence.

I usually focus on the Sonoma Pinots from R-M.

Not sure if they will sell everything they make or could do with the support, so i’ll err on the side of support and place a small 4-bottle minimum order.

1 Like

Got it, prolly will pick up a few for summer drinking !

Thieriot and Purrington Rued for sure. I like them all though.

2 Likes

Adam - On the analog dial, the RM are to the right of Ceritas/A-R chardonnay; a bit richer but not the cliché version of a CA Chardonnay loaded with butter, cream and oak.
I think the one that might be closest to your preference would be the Sonoma Coast as that tends to be a bit leaner with green apple/bright citrus elements.
In prior vintages, I found the Bearwallow, Theriot and Platt to have a fairly rich mouthfeel, more weight, and show some oak.
I do like the Theriot for the depth and variety of flavors I get from the wine but it is a richer style of wine than Ceritas and Arnot-Roberts. It ain’t no Zephyr.

2 Likes

This will be an easy buy.

An easy buy for me if I’m offered anything, but didn’t see the save the date email…

Didn’t get a save the date… hoping I get an offer.