2020 Maybach Release

Greetings from the Winery.

With pleasure we announce our upcoming annual release.

Time: Tuesday, January 18, 2022 – 9AM (PST)

It’s always exciting to offer new wines, and this year we have two – a Cabernet Sauvignon from a historic vineyard in St. Helena, and a Sonoma Coast Rose.

Wines:
2019 Materium Cabernet
2019 Amoenus Cabernet
2019 Ecotone Cabernet
2020 Eterium Sonoma Coast Chardonnay
2020 Irmgard Sonoma Coast Rose

Regarding allocations: The 2019 harvest was 35% smaller than the stellar crop of 2018 so allocations and wish lists may likewise be leaner than last year. As always, allocations vary according to seniority and order history, with a wish-list function in case of any extra.

A note about the following release (January 2023, one year from now):
We will be offering no Cabernet next year due to the wildfires which impaired our 2020 Napa fruit.

========================================================================

Just received the Maybach release letter this morning. It looks like they have a new cabernet for this release - Ecotone. Anyone hear anything about this? I also don’t recall a rose in previous releases but maybe it replaced the pinot noir? The pinot in the past was called Irmgard as well.

2 Likes

Ecotone is the vineyard formerly known as Thorevilos and farmed by Abreu. I believe Abreu lost the lease and it was taken over by Bettinelli for the farming and they are now selling grapes to Maybach, Vice Versa, Accendo, and maybe some others.

It’s certainly a strong source so I will be eager to try it out (along with the Materium).

2 Likes

This is always one of the more expensive releases for me. The credit card is bracing already. Will be interested to see pricing this year as I’d expect a bit of a lift.

Thank you for the background information! Sounds like it will be some amazing juice.

Nick - I agree, I’m a little nervous what the pricing is going to be for this release. I love the wine but anxious I’m going to get priced out soon.

1 Like

Has anyone had a TRB rose before?

I’m looking forward to this release. Always a buyer of the M and A, and excited for the new addition to the lineup with Ecotone. Maybach is my favorite of all the TRB projects, and I’m hoping my allocation continues to be juicy…

I’ve been buying Maybach wines since 2005. I’ve always felt that Chris has held his price much better than many of the heavy hitters in Napa. I have no idea what the pricing is for the current release but I do know I’ve enjoyed every bottle I’ve purchased and Chris has been first class in all of my dealings with him. The fact that he’s one that has addressed the 2020 vintage (or lack thereof) due to smoke taint speaks to his integrity in my opinion.

I can’t roll with this working just part time if anyone wants mine.

Super stoked for this release, especially for the Ecotone.

any reviews or scores on these upcoming release?

Totally agree with Jeb D’s recent review on the Materium “If this doesn’t do it for you, I’d avoid Napa Valley Cabernet Sauvignon!” The Materium is such an enjoyable style of Napa cab, always a crowd pleaser!

This is also my favorite TRB and having tasted the ‘19 Cabernets could not be more stoked to get this vintage in my cellar. JC introduced us to the 2010 vintage and have been hooked ever since.

You tried the 19 Maybach’s? Was this recently? Wondering your thoughts.

Yeah back in the beginning of April. They were really great wines (at that stage), even so early in their development. Full bodied yet with the necessary complexities to make the wine compelling. My notes say to take full allocation if that helps at all.

My Napa buying pause will end next Tuesday!

You and me both. We held out so long, basically up to this point is the entire year. :slight_smile:

Will be buying all I can. Very interested inthe new vineyard as well.

HA! I think my last was William and Mary last September. But will be busier the next few weeks/months!

Another TRB wine that I’m happy I purchased since first release. Have to give them credit for refusing to release wines that are not up to their standards. 1st the 2011, still have the cup they sent out and now 2020. Looking forward to the 2019’s.

I will be taking my full allocation for '19 since there will be no '20. just out of curiosity…what did jeb score on these cabs?

1 Like