TN: 2017 Domaine Bruno Clair Morey St. Denis En la Rue de Vergy

2017 Domaine Bruno Clair Morey St. Denis En la Rue de Vergy - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis (1/18/2022)
PnP one glass, decanted, 1 hour of air before 2nd glass. The nose was very primary on PnP (red berries) with some earth and “raffle”. As this gets air and warms up, the nose opens up, the fruit becomes more expressive and oak spices join the fray. Very good first sip full of crunchy red berries, refreshing acidity without being lean. Again, with time, the wine gains body, the fruit becomes darker and the oak adds complexity. This shows very nice balance with a beautiful mineral finish and a kiss of tanins. This is very nicely done. It drinks very well right now but I think it will continue to age on balance for a long time. I’ll try to keep the others in the cellar.

After exercising self-control, there is some left under Repour to revisit tomorrow.

1 Like

I just found the word I was looking for yesterday when I typed my tasting note and left “raffle” in French: stem.

Phil…nice TNs and photo.

Sadly B. Clair never charmed me - despite the fact that they have always been easily available.

Lately I have noticed that they are getting off the SAQ shelves faster than before.

I’m precisely the opposite. BC has charmed me and then some. They’re not cheap, but I’ve often wondered why they don’t get more hype. They have exceptional holdings and make lovely wines including arguably the best Marsannay; one of the best Savigny (the old vines Dominode); dynamite villages wines from Vosne, Chambolle, and Morey; arguably the best Cazetiers (my favorite wine in the lineup); and an admirable upper tier of CSJ, Beze, and Bonnes Mares. There was a time when BC’s pricing was fairly aggressive, but now I think it occupies a lovely mid-tier — higher than the big negociants (maybe not anymore!) but far, far less than the likes of Dujac/Cathiard/Rousseau/Gibourg. I do think that BC wines need a lot of time.

WRT the OP, nice note. I haven’t had this wine, but I’m smitten with BC’s 17 Chambolle ‘Veroilles’

RyanC…thanks for your comments. I did …not…say anything negative about Claire.

I do own his Marsannay ( from 2012, 2009 and 2005) but not his others for the following main reason: .

Claire has the same importer ( Pierre S ) in Quebec, Canada and who also happens to be the same importer for DRC, Roumier, Dugat, Dugat-Py and Lafon. I often went to his house for my allocations.

In my early part of my wine-life, Claire did not charmed me because : (1) I did not have patience with his style and and also did not have time and cellar space for it.

I do think that BC wines need a lot of time.

I am glad you like them…

For many awhile, I was very tempted to buy a bottle here and 2 bottles there of his CdBeze - but sadly I did not do so early on. So that is my short story for my wine-relationship which was started - without an beginning and ended in nothing.

*make lovely wines including arguably the best Marsannay;

I will keep your above comment in my mind…when I will be doing my pair-tasting of Marsannay.

How big is this property? There’s so many labels from there, I have some of the Verdet I’m trying to wait on.

From Jasper Morris` Inside Burgundy 2nd Edition:

En la Rue de Vergy = 4.81 Ha
Rue de Vergy = 0.80 Ha

Domaine Bruno Clair (in Ha)
Chambertin-Clos de Bèze GC = 0.98
Bonnes Mares GC = 0.41
Gevrey 1er Cazetiers = 0.87
Gevrey 1er CSJ = 1.00
Gevrey 1er Clos de Fonteny = 0.68
Gevrey 1er Petite Chappelle = 0.51
GC 1er = 0.28
Savigny 1er Dominode = 1.10
Savigny 1er = 0.61
GC = 0.43
MSD En la Rue de Vergy = 0.65
CM Les Véroilles = 1.51
VR Champs Perdrix = 0.93
Pernand-Vergelesses = 0.24
Aloxe-Corton = 0.34
Marsannay Grasses Têtes = 1.29
Marsannay Vaudenelles = 1.58
Marsannay Longeroies = 1.26
Marsannay Rouge & Rosé = 3.13

CC GC = 0.34
MSD En la Rue de Vergy Blanc = 0.51
Marsannay Blanc = 2.68

Neal Martin just published an article on Vinous yesterday which is a blind tasting of 2017 burgs at Burgfest, Bruno Clair did extremely well.

Thanks for the note. I like the wines, they can be quite red fruited and crystalline, just as your note describes.