TN: 2019 Domaine Boris Champy Hautes-Côtes de Beaune Altitude 377

My first encounter with this new Domaine.

Bright and sappy red fruits with a cherry cola-lite character, soft florals, and tilled earth. The texture is supremely silky and generous, seductive, with a slight frame of structure and lively acidity. Lightly smoky and spicy finish. I’m unsure of whether this is a long-term hold but it’s plenty charming for the present.

1 Like

Thanks for the note Sean I took a flyer on these and the 421’s when offered although I understand this isn’t fully Champy’s until the '20 vintage as he took over from the existing owner during '19 and only completed the elevage in '19.
Haven’t bought any Hautes Cotes wines since regularly buying M. Gros Hautes CdN in the late 90’s/ early '00’s when they were a steal.

Between Champy getting involved and local climate change, seems that maybe dipping a toe back up & into the Hautes Cotes may be interesting.

I also really enjoyed this and expect it’ll drink even better in a few years.

• 2019 Boris Champy Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune Altitude 377 “Le Clou” - France, Burgundy, Bourgogne Hautes-Côtes de Beaune (11/21/2021)
    This pours light ruby with flecks of pink toward to the rim. The nose is fairly tight aromatically, lightly reduced, but what is there is a style I really appreciate. Aromas of cherry, strawberry, wet soil, and river rocks waft gently. The palate is extremely impressive revealing much more of what this wine has in store. Lush cherry and pomegranate turn up on entry. Structurally the tannin is medium minus and acid is medium. The finish lingers impressively showing loads of gorgeous red fruit that can still be tasted on the palate minutes later, even accented by pleasant notes of blood orange and rose petal. Great bottle! 90 point nose, 93 point palate. Overall 91 points today, but I expect a few years of bottle age will bring this together. (91 pts.)
1 Like

Boris has made such a strong start! 2020 is even better.

1 Like

Excited to follow his work!

I left a little of this for day two and a pleasing stem influence came to the forefront.