Anthony Barton - RIP

Just saw on the Langoa Barton IG that he has passed away.

2 Likes

great owner and gentleman!

Sad news. RIP. We always open a 1988 something for our anniversary, and the Leoville Barton was the one we enjoyed in 2021. One of my favorite chateaux.

A real Sir ā€¦ we enjoyed our visit vm 20y ago.
In February at my St.Julien tasting I will raise a glass in his honourā€¦

A man who quite obviously knew what he wanted to produce and did so, regardless of trends and fads. I can only hope the property continues to make wine in the same way going forward. RIP

2 Likes

Leoville-Barton was one of the first aha moments for me starting off. RIP Anthony Barton

Sad news indeed, we had a wonderful dinner with him in London 20 years ago. His wit and charm will be sorely missed. RIP and condolences to his family.

I think the 1995 LB was the first wine I bought six of. From your old shop. I liked the sound of traditional-styled Bordeaux. Still do.

RIP.

1 Like

RIP. The ā€˜85, along with the ā€˜85 Lynch Bages, was what got me into Bdx. And the chateau stayed true to course, including keeping a lid on pricing.

1 Like

https://mailchi.mp/calvertwoodley/thanks-bubbly-10852754?e=30fff185bb

1 Like

The first full case of wine I bought was the 1978 Leoville Barton when I turned 21. I still have a single bottle.

RIP. I never met Mr. Barton, but have met several of his family members at various UGC tastings, and they all shared the same friendliness and humility that it appeared that he had. And that is quite a legacy, in addition to the wine side of his life.

Ed

A life well lived, and a man of tremendous charm and wit.

Leoville Barton is my favourite Bdx and the chateau I have the most bottles of in the cellar.

RIP.

Rest in peace, Sir.

His humor was legendary. My favorite bonmot of him is: a magnum has the perfect size if you are alone at home. But only if you start with Champagne and finish with Sauternes.

3 Likes

Never knew the man but had an '82 Leoville Barton last week that was stunning and will open a 2009 Langoa Barton this weekend in his honor.

Rest in Peace.

Sad to read this, but thanks for posting David. Never met him, but did visit the museum in Kinsale. I will think on his legacy when I open a 1998 Leoville later this year.

Jurgenā€“thatā€™s a marvelous quotation

Mike

Such sad news. I was really looking forward to seeing him again. I had lunch with him in London as a student and vividly remember it. He insisted I consume a Christmas pudding and a half-bottle of Sauternes, on the ground that while his doctor said he couldnā€™t, I should. He also recounted how his new doctor, in the presence of his wife, had once inquired how much he drank. Feeling compelled to answer honestly, he confessed to ā€œperhaps a bottle a day, between lunch and dinnerā€. The doctor asked how much a bottle was, and when he said 750 ml, insisted that it was far too little: Anthony needed to be drinking a lot more water than that!

Good place to start!

I have a jeroboam of 1985 LĆ©oville Barton that I might have to open this year.

William, has he been involved in the winemaking decisions over the last few years? Do you think fans can expect his style and pricing approach to continue? It would be a great shame to lose yet another traditional producer who makes outstanding and affordable wines