TN: 2005 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas)

• 2005 Thierry Allemand Cornas Chaillot - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, Cornas (1/19/2022)
    There are wines I am never going to buy again. They have escalated in price to where I just won’t take the plunge. Allemand has sadly fallen into that category. It’s sad because Allemand is the rare Northern Rhône Syrah that can simultaneously capture the savage structure and wild elements of Syrah, yet also show captivating fruit. For most it’s one or the other, with the magic only as a matter of luck. This wine (for those few who still seem to have it if CellarTracker is any indication) has decades of life ahead of it, and probably 20 years of improvement. I still don’t regret opening it, as it is currently delicious, and provides visceral, rather than intellectual pleasure, even as it still sinks its claws into my palate. Pain as pleasure!

Posted from CellarTracker

5 Likes

Great note. I bowed out for the reasons you note, then just jumped back in with some backfills on Reynard. Not going to get any cheaper, so just bought the bullet. These are singular wines. I have some 07 and 08 but no 05, I’m jealous!

1 Like

I will keep an ‘05 Reynard aside for you…someday.

1 Like

Thanks. 05 Is the lone vintage of this century I have not had. Good to know continuing to wait is not a mistake.

1 Like

You write such great notes. And this is such a great wine. I’m thankful to have 2 left.

1 Like

No rush at all.

It’s never a regret to open an Allemand. And no ‘pain’ experienced either.

Thanks. Yes, probably the stratosphere now is out of my $ sphere, but appreciate the note. Have you left any to try today with some more air?

Kwa Heri

Mike

Yes - there is some for tonight. Will update later.

And I have both Chaillot and Reynard '99. I can see a gathering in the future…

[This is a test to see how many new friends we can make here. I’m looking for an emoji with a baited hook.]

A “gathering”? In New York?

There can be only one.

Last full pour was darker and meatier than last night. I preferred it on night one, but the change to a darker, denser wine probably reinforces the long life ahead.

1 Like

Some on K&L Auction. You got me to bid! And I was outbid. Twice. Well, if I cannot win it, at least I drove the price up for some Poseur like me. It’s over $300 per so far and surely will go higher. Lol.

Just beyond reason

Way higher no doubt.

300 is cheep.

Cheap is relative, of course. Once you get into that range, I’m only going for the Reynard, even if it costs significantly more. To me there is a major qualitative difference that justifies the up-charge.