wine podcast

Looking for good podcasts.

listening through XChateau and planning on checking out 100 pt podcast next. Any suggestions on good wine podcasts?

1 Like

A must if itā€™s not already on your list. A trove of older episodes worth a listen.

5 Likes

+1 Iā€™ve learned more about wine from this podcast than any other source. Production has slowed over the past year or so (COVID-related), but as Dennis mentioned, there are many episodes to keep you busy. Just a comment, there are no ā€œbaby stepsā€ with this podcast. I started listening when I knew very little about wine, and I found myself needing to pause every few minutes to look up unfamiliar terms. Great way to learn!

I listen to the GuildSomm podcast from time to time. Some of their content is very good. Iā€™m not a fan of their new Blind Tastings segment though, which I almost always skip. In my opinion, audio is just a terrible medium to ā€œobserveā€ a blind tasting. Also, there are all these amplified slurping noises as people taste wine right up on the micā€¦gives me the willies!

3 Likes

Bedrock Conversations. On most podcasts apps.

3 Likes

Just listened to #444 about Fattoria Rodano and Gambelli. Great start, excited to listen through. Thanks for the tip Dennis & Noah.

1 Like

I quite enjoy others, like Bedrock, but IDTT is in a category by itself. Phenomenal.

4 Likes

Winemakers podcast if you like Cali wine especially

3 Likes

IDTT is incredible

2 Likes

No doubt, IDTT is the pinnacle! I just wish that Levi was a little moreā€¦ā€˜openā€™ to comments/constructive criticism. Some of his responses here and on social media have been brutal. Bad enough that I canā€™t listen to the podcast. Not that it matters/impacts his biz one way or anotherā€¦but just my $0.02 from here in the cheap seats.

1 Like

In addition to all the excellent recommendations above, The Oregon Wine History Archive Podcast does a great job of coveringā€¦wait for itā€¦Oregon wines and winemakers.

4 Likes

Ok, so I am vehemently opposed to podcasts, but I listened to Jasper Morris on this and really enjoyed it. Tried a couple others and became quickly disinterestedā€¦ but for me to have listened to one full podcast is remarkable!

2 Likes

I donā€™t know if youā€™re a fan of their wines, but the episodes with John Kongsgaard an David Ramey are incredible. They just share so much knowledge, itā€™s unbelievable.

1 Like

I used to listen to Grape Radio but looks like they stopped in 2018.

1 Like

i dont drink much American tbh, but I like knowledge! checking it out now

The impressive thing about IDTT is how well its edited, how they fold in prior/other interviews when relevant, and the high quality sound. It feels far more ā€˜professionalā€™ than other wine related podcasts. That being said, itā€™s not a cast for anyone who is not already knowledgeable. The target audience seems tilted toward big city sommelliers and high end collectors.

Wine For Normal People is another popular, long running podcast geared for newer enthusiasts, but I think its still pretty good. Sound quality is fine here, and it seems to also get some post recording cleanup. It is a little promotional - the authors get something from Wine Access - but its nothing tiresome and if it keeps it free, understandable. I am surprised it has not been name checked yet in this thread, actually.

There is an English cast called The Wine Conversation which can occasionally have interesting topics/guests. The host can be somewhat cloying/fawning over the speakers, but if you can get past that, there is plenty for the Francophile.

And totally crazily, I know there is some faction of WB which follows the WDC couponing strangeness ā€“ Wilfred Wong (of BevMo and WDC notoriety) recently had a two part (!) cast where he was interviewed. Topics of discussion included commercial strategy, what he likes in wine, how much he has to taste every year, and what is involved in making store branded blends. To their credit WDC isnā€™t making any private label stuff at all. So to find that one, I suggest searching on his name and see if your cast interface pulls it up; it was not on any channel I had heard of before. Unf, Wong speaks in this cast in a kind of herky jerky style, which doesnā€™t feel/seem natural but maybe the interview was recorded in some inconvenient time/place/method. EDIT: here is a link

There are too many casts that feel like the audio version of lame YouTube uploads, normally one can pick them out after a few minutes and skip/delete them.

Great stuff listed above. I agree that IDTT is on another level, and I always listen to the Bedrock podā€¦one that hasnā€™t been mentioned is The Black Wine Guy Experience. Not as educational, but some interesting and fun conversations. Berserker Robert Dentice has been a guest as well.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Never heard of IDTT before. Just listened to episode 486 with David Ramay on evolution of Chardonnay. What a great podcast to geek out to.

Arv mentioned most besides idtt. I listen to Wine conversation but agreeā€¦the host can be something else. I donā€™t listen to all of them but their omnibus episodes have some decent wine market info.

Jasper Morris has more and more podcast content. Sometimes theyā€™re just tasting wines and discussing them but thereā€™s a ton of good info and itā€™s quite enjoyable for the burgundy fan.

I drive a lot, so lots of time for these. I agree that IDTT is at the top. Also enjoy GuildSomm depending on the topic, and Jim Duane has really improved over the past few years on the Inside Winemaking podcast (mostly Cali interviews but great diversity of topics). Jasper is great (but the audio with the tasting group in Hong Kong sure is annoying). For Oregon, yes, the the Oregon Wine History Archive! and thereā€™s another shorter, lighter one called Wine Crush.

For francophiles, en FranƧais: Tire Bouchon, La Terre Ơ Boire, and Wine Makers Show.

1 Like

Please listen to the Chisa Bize episode itā€™s amazing and not just the wine part.

1 Like