TN : Giacosa Rocche de Falletto1999

Can somebody explain why this is not a red label? It is an extraordinary wine, intense, concentrated but light boded the embodiment of great Giacosa. There is bright red fruit overlaid with rose, rocks, earth and balsam. Fantastic but not completely developed on the palate, there is a knot of concentration that has not unfurled, leading to a great, layered finish. It probably needs a decade. 98+

1 Like

100% agree with your note. There’s a story that Giacosa needed some cashflow and didn’t want to wait, I have no idea if the story is true. I love buying Red Label quality at White Label prices. Maybe not so much anymore, latest auction numbers are around $450 all in,

Mark thanks for the note.

Some relevant quotes from Steve Tanzer;

Nov 2002: I asked Giacosa why he won’t be labeling this as riserva. He deadpanned: “I need to sell wine early to get money.”

Mar 2011: A simply spectacular wine: I really can’t figure out why Giacosa didn’t bottle this as a Riserva, since it has all the elements for future greatness. In any event, it’s by far the best white label Le Rocche del Falletto ever.

very happy to have a couple of these in the cellar

Brodie

I heard the same story. I think he was also having health issues back then. Every bit red label quality. I have 3 left.

Such a beautiful wine. So happy to have it.

1 Like

Thanks for the note Mark. Totally agree and glad to have some as well. Last tried several years back and was superb and also trending upwards. Looks like its still on that trajectory.

I have three mags. This note pushes back my enjoyment, but that’s ok.

Thanks Mark, great note.