TN: 2007 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate

• 2007 Chateau Montelena Cabernet Sauvignon The Montelena Estate - USA, California, Napa Valley, Calistoga (1/21/2022)
    T-minus 1 day until 55, and drinking the good stuff. This is early, even from 375ml, but open and giving with plenty of ripe black fruit, some vanilla and spice shadings, and firm finishing tannins that are going to stand up to the fruit as it continues to age. Zero regrets opening one now, as it’s in a happy, boisterous place. Content to age my remaining bottles, since there is a ton of material to stand up to the evolution.

Posted from CellarTracker

3 Likes

Congrats on the upcoming 55!

Happy (kind of) to see this note. I have a 3L of this I’ve been wanting to open for a Bottle Shock movie party sooner than later, but it seems like later would be better, but okay with a long, long decant?

Comparing a 375 and a 3L is tough. Not sure what to say.

+1 on Congrats for the upcoming 55, David!

Nice wine choice. Montelena was one of the first estates that started us on this wine journey, and I always enjoy reading about others who enjoy their wines.

Cheers,
Ed

Several years ago, my wine tasting group did a vertical of Chateau Montelena. The wines seem to age forever. It seemed like the further back we went in time (with a couple of exceptions), the better and more complex the wines got. [My favorite of that night was a 1978 Sonoma.] I think it was not that winemaking or anything like that changed, but rather just that the wines kept getting more and more mature and showing more and more notes.

1 Like

Congrats on 55 buddy! And great note as always - love Montelena (and that they offer 375’s) [cheers.gif]

David,

Thanks for the note. The bottle I drank a year ago was quite good. And Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday!

and thanks for the note.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for the tasting note and very timely as I’m visiting / tasting Montelena for the first time in Napa in February.

Happy, Healthy and Fun Birthday.

Happy birthday David!!

Love Montelena, a personal favorite, and yes Howard, the older they become, the better they are.
So I was searching my cellar for Montelena, and discovered this:

1978 CHATEAU MONTELENA-Sonoma, OCB.JPG
Looked at Wine Searcher, their response:
Showing results for ‘1978 chateau montelena sonoma cabernet sauvignon napa valley usa’
Be notified when this product is available.
Prices (0)
No offers for any product from the selected offer type.
Hint: Looking for a single, specific product? Try fine-tuning your search terms.
Remember: you are excluding 1372 merchants.
Clear filters

Is the 1978 Montelena-Sonoma this rare?

1 Like

I don’t think it was back in the early 1980s, but I expect it would be now. Great find! Good luck when you open it.

There’s only 55 bottles of the '78 Montelena Sonoma County CS in CellarTracker, so it’s pretty rare! As a comparison, there are over 700 bottles of the '74 Heitz Martha’s in CT.

The 78 Sonoma is still showing really well, but I still prefer the Estate to the Sonoma in 78, 77 flips them.
Still no hurry to open either if you have them.

1 Like

Congratulations on the big 55. Chateau Montelena has the distinction of being the very first California Cabernet and California Chardonnay I ever tried and I loved them at first sip. Interestingly, both were in fact 2007 vintage bottles of each. I later had bottles of each from the 2008 and 2012 vintages. Always a top notch estate. Glad you’re enjoying the 07, I didn’t even realize they made half bottles. Wish they’d come up to Canada, I’d definitely buy some of those.