TN: 2015 André Perret St. Joseph Blanc (France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph)

These Rhône whites are always a bit difficult for me. When in the area either in the cellar of a good producer or in a good restaurant (like Le Mangevins in Tain!) that knows their pairings the wines often taste excellent and the urge to buy is strong. Then back home when you open a bottle the power, the richness and the relatively low acidity can easily overwhelm you and you are left with something more refreshing and crisp. Andre Perret is a great producer and it is not difficult to appreciate wines but yesterday again this wine felt more admirable than massively enjoyable. It could be for its youth - who’s to say - but regardless on day 2 I now find the wine a bit less flamboyant and a bit more savory and all the better for my palate. I don’t think I will ever end up filling my cellar with Rhône whites but no doubt if I ever get to go there again (shall we end this crap soon, Covid-19?) I’ll return with a couple of bottles of either Viognier or these Marsanne-Roussanne blends.

• 2015 André Perret St. Joseph Blanc - France, Rhône, Northern Rhône, St. Joseph (21.1.2022)
    Floral and hard candy-esque on the nose with notes of apricot and bergamot and a minerally hint. Viscous and weighty on the palate with warmth and a spicy edge. Comes off bright and sunny and quite dry. On the serious side with considerable power, this is a gastronomic wine more than anything with appealing underlying minerality. Despite the textural richness there is sufficient acidity here, too. Hard to see it declining anytime soon but I really couldn’t say what the upside might be, if any. A well made wine for sure.

Posted from CellarTracker