Off the charts Bordeaux Bargain! ($11.99)

I received this offer from on of my local shops.
I gave up on Bprdeaux years ago because everyone I tried was thin and tannic.
I came to the conclusion that I was buying ones that were too cheap or drinking them too young.
Is there any chance I might like this? My main hesitation is driving 20 miles each way to pick it up.
The reviews I have read seem to say it is not bad.

Chateau Bernadotte

2016 Haut Medoc

Bordeaux

93 James Suckling

90 Vinous

89 Wine Advocate

$11.99

This is a Bordeaux super deal not to be missed! We would have no problem recommending this wine at twice the price! Read the reviews below. Do they sound like a review for a $12 bottle of wine? I know its really early in the year but this is the early odds on favorite for Value of the Year here at the SDWBC!

Formerly owned by Champagne Louis Roederer and Chateau Pichon Longueville Comtesse de Lalande. The estate has a great terroir, bordering prestigious Pauillac classified growths. The new Cru Bourgeois classification (as of 2018 vintage) has recognized Bernadotte’s quality, history and singularity, awarding Bernadotte
“Crus Bourgeois Superieur.”

From Vinous (90 points)The 2016 Bernadotte has a fresh, minty, Pauillac-like bouquet that is well defined and vivacious. The palate is medium-bodied with crisp, brittle tannin matched with a fine bead of acidity. This feels fresh and focused, with a classic graphite-tinged finish that feels classy. Excellent. .”

From Suckling (93 points)This has aromas of boysenberries and dark berries with a wealth of gently tarry aromas, too. The palate has a fresh, fleshy and quite concentrated feel with fine tannins that hold the finish long.”

I bought a case of that last fall and it was a serviceable luncheon claret/cellar defender. i think I still have a bottle floating around. Definitely worth the tariff…

Only 87 from Jeff Leve so I am concerned. For a few more dollars this is a solid.

2018 Château Marjosse - France, Bordeaux (1/11/2022)
Day 1: Pop and pour. Tastes like a grocery store Bordeaux. I have been noticing more and more cheap Bordeaux and Italian wines getting 92 points from critics and then being very disappointed with some (not all). Fruit froward offering with cherry, plum and floral notes. Thin on the palate and finish. Lacks acidity. Not going to score this now and will see over 3 days if it improves (80 points currently).
Day 1.25: Not surprised the wine did improve a few hours later. Roasted chestnuts, cherry, dust, spice and minerals. Certainly not in the 90s but for the price a serviceable weekday wine. Grainy (Agglomerate) Cork 88 points
Day 2: Can’t stress this day 2/3 thing anymore and another stellar result. This is much better on day 2. Bright fruit featuring cherry and plum along with tobacco, minerals, spice and dust. Pretty amazing wine for under $20. 91 points
Day 3: Small berries, good acidity, minerals, tobacco and dust. Excellent value and should age for a while. 91 points
Recommendation: Decant 3 or 4 hours if you want to consume young. Will age for 5 to 8 years no problem. (91 points)

John - Thanks for the tip. That looks like a good one, but unfortunately not available in my area.

Bernadotte has been an overperformer in spots over the years. Drink soon. It doesn’t age well.

David is right. . Drink 4-8 yrs. I’ve had some quite nice bottles of this. Modern style. Pauillac light. Haven’t bought it recently. Is it still owned by Pichon Lalande? There’s a bell ringing dimly in my mind. Reasonable QPR.

Haven’t had it in years and I’m pretty sure it cost more than 12 bucks even then, so yes this sounds like a good deal. But I wouldn’t expect anything “off the charts,” it’s just a nice ordinary Bordeaux.

Hmmm. Personally I’m a Bernadotte fan; it’s one of my favorite of the cru bourgeoise. That’s a good price, for a good vintage, but to be fair for whatever reasons its been offered a lot at low levels over the last year (my inbox has WA offers at $17 with lots of couponing potential, and Winex offers at $13, all in the last 12mos). I’ve been buying it off / on for a couple of decades but I think their best years was a run between 96-03 or so.

Once the estate left the aegis of Pichon Lalande’s winemaking, clearly some of the marketing karma left too, and they’re now sold on the lower end of cru bouregoise price points, whereas if anything, they used to be on the higher end for their classification. Stephen Brooke’s 3rd edition of his Bordeaux book actually touched on the complicated relationship they used to have with PL. IIRC they have Chinese owners now.

Perhaps Bernadotte is better when younger, but I have had no issues with the estate - especially in larger formats - running one or two decades.

======

The 2016 was released 3-4 years ago, so one concern might be whether these are sound bottles. For the most part, wines at these price points usually do not get all the storage/transport TLC they deserve. If buying multiples, consider the retailers reputation and willingness to take back bottles if cooked. For $12, I’d open (and drink) one personally with the owner/cashier/decider to make sure they are ok.

PS: If one is into Napoleonic history, Bernadotte has some extra interest!

Funny that this was the bottle I grabbed tonight and now catching this post. A LWS buddy swore by this so I grabbed a case not too far back. Its solid juice. Interesting to read other’s perspectives on how it will evolve (or lack thereof). I agree that this particular vintage over-performs. Drinking very well right now for the money. Was telling others the same earlier watching the game.

Will make a note to make them scarce before they turn to pumpkins.

1 Like

I haven’t tried this vintage, but Bernadotte is generally a safe bet which ages well over 10 to 12 years. The last one I tried was the 2014, which like the 2011 tasted previously was creamy and elegant, not at all overdone. At that price you can’t go wrong, although Arv is right about prior storage.

1 Like

At that price for me it would be a no-brainer. I bought a case at $16 after drinking a bottle. I drank a few bottles of the 2010 last year, enjoyed them all, and concluded that it was still on the upswing.
Wines like this typically benefit from splash decanting.

1 Like

I didn’t expect this much feedback for a $12 wine so thanks to everybody who reponded.
I went to the stores website and it is already sold out, that was quick.
Maybe they did not have much in stock.
This particular wine shop sometimes has a smoking deal and when they do the wine can sell out very fast.
I am not convinced that was a smokin deal but others might have perceived it was.
I am sure if I want to try a lower end Bordeaux there must plenty of other ones to try.

There are a ton of threads on the topic, but really I’d just work backwards from what is available to you locally. Most of the time its not going to be rational to spend $4-5 on shipping bottles of this nature. Oceans of very agreeable wine in this space, assuming one likes the earthy, grippier blends.

Ok found another option from wine.com where I get free shipping so no driving.
It is quite a lot more than $11.99 but still reasonable at $29.99 and Jeff Leve seems to like it:

2018 Château Haut-Brisson

Arv I think the production is closer to 16,000 cases.

At this price, Bernadotte is a steal. It’s not my favorite Cru Bourgeoisie. If you like Bernadotte, there are numerous other value priced Left Bank gems from 2018, 2019 and 2020 that merit looking at. The production of most estates is fairly large so most are easy to find …

Thanks for correcting that on the production. I will clean up the prior post.

I like it a lot. It’s more like $18 here in NYC, still worth it IMO.

To be clear, I don’t think it’s anything special. For a casual, sub-$20 experience, it totally delivers.