TN: 2019 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Dhroner Grosser Hengelberg Riesling Monopollage

A rather stunning wine. Fresh out of the box from Fass.
Praise warranted.
Will prob outlive most of us.

• 2019 Weingut Günther Steinmetz Dhroner Grosser Hengelberg Riesling Monopollage - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (1/23/2022)
    A nearly clear color. Intense, mineral and smoky quality to the nose. Big punch of citrus (grapefruit) and florals come on with air. Just a lot going on. So compacted on the palate. You can sense the power and density, yet has finesse and a soft touch on the palate. Dry, but showing a deft balance of sweet fruit wrapped in minerals and intense concentration. Long umami-spiked finish that draws you back for more. This wine will outlive me, but I am glad I have more to follow for many years.

Posted from CellarTracker

4 Likes

Nice. Been looking forward to this one.

1 Like

You Will not be disappointed. [cheers.gif]

Thanks. Mine are on the way. appreciate the early look.

1 Like

Ditto. Now who’s gonna give the early look at the Reserve bottling??

1 Like

Might be me, when my bottles arrive :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I actually think Stefan is underrated. I had an incredible visit with him this summer. He has sadly had the wrong importers until now so this will change.

4 Likes

Ain’t that the truth. I corresponded with the prior importer’s rep, and it was clear that they had little interest in the wines.

Saw your post on IG and was immediately intrigued. Thanks for posting the note - I’ll open one myself soon!

1 Like

The wines are great and he’s such a sweet guy.

Who’s the new importer?

1 Like

Lyle Fass who is a long-time friend of Stefan is handling the higher-end bottles. And Cork Hoarder a new import company started by Bryan Garcia, formerly of Grand Cru Selections, and the importer before the last importer of the wines is going to handle the U.S. distribution for the more entry level type bottles.

1 Like

Just got mine last week. Was going to sit on them a while but I might just pop one open after reading your TN!

1 Like

Opened this tonight. Your TN is spot on for my palate. My, this is a big boi at 13.5% abv, but it ain’t a chonker. Color me impressed with this great wine!

2 Likes

Nice! Glad to hear we are in alignment. Looking forward to trying the other 19s. [cheers.gif]

Any food pairing recommendations with this? Might pop my first one tomorrow.

Got mine a few days ago. Opening one soon!

1 Like

Doesn’t Robert Panzer work with him as well?

Steinmetz has a Portuguese importer and this is one of life’s comforting facts which I use to scare away the mental demons.

Yep, Panzer’s offer went out a couple of days ago for the 2020s.

Opened a bottle of the 2019 tonight. Initially it had a hefty dose of Sweet-Tart pungency, but after about 30 minutes it settled down. Two hours later it is still changing. Fascinating wine that deserves hours (and then years) of attention.

1 Like