SFO/Napa Transportation

Im not sure if this is the right area to post, if not I’ll move it to the approprate area. Also, I’m sure this topic has been covered before but I couldn’t find it when doing a search.

I am tentatively planning a trip to Napa with a very quick turnaround on 3/8-3/9. I am looking for transportation for 2 days for 2 people from SFO to a couple of wineries in a couple of Napa AVAs on 3/8 and 3/9 and then returning to SFO early evening on 3/9.

Does anyone have a recommendation on a good driver and/or transportation service? We will not have our own car.

Feel free to respond to this thread or PM me.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions.
Bill

3 Likes

Is renting a car an option? Finding someone to transport to and from SFO might be challenging (or outrageously expensive), but if you drive yourself to the region, there are a number of local tour companies that will handle the driving.

I definitely recommend iRydn for SFO-Napa transport. We had a very comfortable large SUV for our trip from the hotel to SFO airport. 916-238-6121. Our driver was George (one of the owners) and he was great.

2 Likes

We normally use Napa Native. https://www.napanative.com/

We were given his name some years ago by one of the wineries we frequent. The owner, Tyler Jackson, has lived in Napa all his life so he always has great insight to what is going on in the valley in general. We have also gotten some great recommendations over the years from him. We normally fly into Santa Rosa and he picks us up there, but assume they do SFO too.

2 Likes

not in napa per se, but oakville more specifically, look into a helicopter to land at screagle. it’s been done.

6 Likes

As another data point, when we were last there I believe we used: https://napasonomawinetastingdriver.com/

I didn’t make the booking, so can’t comment on the value, but the drivers were punctual and the cars were clean. Definitely a self-directed tour, though.

1 Like

I developed this list pre-pandemic but have tried to keep up with it. Next trip, I plan to use a car service to get from SFO to either Napa or Sonoma. I’ve had it by trying to drive through the city traffic.

Transportation:

Uber is in Napa Valley. (Maybe less so up-valley)
My Private Driver. 707.294.0007
Designated Driver. www.designateddrivernapa.com (707) 483-0123)
Squire Livery. 707.332.5563

Tour (and transport) companies:

Reserve Wine Tours: www.reservewinetours.com
Verve Napa Valley: www.vervenapavalley.com
Napa Private Tours: www.napaprivatetours.com
Max Napa Tours: www.maxnapatours.com
Woody’s Wine Tours: www.woodyswinetours.com
Napa Tours and Chauffeurs: www.napatac.com
Wine Cube Tours: www.winecubetours.com
Napa Valley Tours and Transportation: www.nvtt.net
Beau Wine Tours: www.beauwinetours.com
(includes Sonoma tours and airport transport)

2 Likes

I really appreciate everyone’s posts with suggestions. They are sending me in the right direction. I will definitely be calling/emailing the names/websites provided above.

I will update if the trip comes to fruition and let everyone know who I used and my experience with them.

Thanks again!

SFO to Napa is the longest short trip one can take and a car, preferably a rental is worth it’s weight in gold, even if it’s a Smart Car.

Might consider two separate services:

1. transport to/from Napa from SFO (perhaps to hotel)
  2. Driver in Napa to take you around for several hours each day.

Where are you staying and which AVAs do you want to visit? Sure there’s Uber in downtown Napa, but trying to get an Uber further north in the valley isn’t as easy.

Also how many tastings are you trying to do per day? Are you just doing 1 or 2 or trying to do 3-5?

I have very limited time to pull this trip off. I’ve done it before with more days where I rent a car and there are more tastings in a day. The main reason I was considering a driver and not renting a car is solely for a quicker turnaround time at the airport to our 1st tasting without losing an hour renting a car. In the end it may make the most sense to rent but I want to explore all options.

Still in the planning phase. Only 2 visits each day. Day 1 (still up in the air). Depending on the flight we chose from Orange County, we can land as early as 9AM. We plan on at least 2 tastings in Oakville and staying in Napa or 1 in Oakville and 1 in Calistoga and staying in Calistoga. I maybe able to squeeze in a 3rd tasting depending on location. This may be decided on if we get a reservation at the French Laundry and want to stay closer to Yountville. We will have a better idea on 2/1.

Day 2 is more set with 1 tasting in St. Helena and 1 luncheon in St. Helena with the winery’s owner then back to SFO for an early evening flight.

Thanks for your assistance.

How wasted are you expecting to get in 2 tastings? I’d just drive myself and don’t deal with the hassle and cost…

1 Like

Even if you land at 9am at SFO and have the best luck with flight arrival and traffic, I doubt you’ll be able to do more than 1 tasting on your arrival day. So I would consider that travel day as a “non-tasting day” so you can probably do a nice dinner then and be relaxed.

Tastings are going to be 60-90 minutes each especially if you are going to more intimate wineries. From a logistics standpoint I would stay in Calistoga and do tastings in Oakville and St. Helena rather than stay further south in Napa. Easier with traffic especially if you are traveling over a weekend and have to compete with the locals who drive up for the day to Napa. Only issue is you’ll have to plan more time to get to Calistoga since it’s 25-40 min from downtown Napa depending on traffic.

I would rent a car for your tastings. It gives you more flexibility and that way you don’t have to worry about transportation to SFO. If you want to Uber one night to dinner, you can schedule a ride or if you want to book a driver just for the night then you have that option.

1 Like

We always rent at SFO and then use Designated Drivers Napa Sonoma. They send a driver to us and then drive your rental for 1/2 the price of a car service. They’ll even set you up with private tastings.

https://www.ddnapasonoma.com/

1 Like

My very strong rec is Alta Transportation (707-637-4399); they run a highly professional/reliable service…great concierge service as well…no brainer!

1 Like

Uber specifically for Fairfield to downtown Napa and then back on a Friday evening - any guess on availability / should we risk it?

there is no reason to fly to SFO from Orange County for a Wine country trip. Fly into Oakland. Less delays, smaller easier airport to get in and out of, rental cars, right there, and both closer and less traffic getting to and from Napa. you’re welcome.

1 Like