TN: 2015 Woodward Canyon Merlot (USA, Washington, Columbia Valley)

• 2015 Woodward Canyon Merlot - USA, Washington, Columbia Valley (1/22/2022)
    Day 1: Tons of oak on the pop and pour but after 30 minutes ready to drink. This is outstanding. Cherry, plum, small berries, dark chocolate, minerals and floral notes. Adds spice on the finish. Big shout out to Woodward Canyon as they sent me a few replacement bottles for some off bottles of the 2010! Great people and customer service. (Natural cork) 92 points
    Day 2: Big oak, plum, spice, earth, dark chocolate, minerals and floral notes. Even on day 2 needs more time in the glass.
    Day 2.5: 4 hours in the glass and ready to drink. Oak is not in your face as much along with cherry, plum, spice, dust, dark chocolate and minerals. So young! 92 points
    Day 3: When I tell people about the 3 day wine review a few wines stand out as why I do it. This is one of them!!! At times the amount of oak on the nose/palate was so overwhelming no enjoyment was to be had on this wine. Each prior day needed a long time in glass. The third day is a charm and I mean a charm. One of the better Merlots I have tasted from Washington. Bright cherry, plum, exotic spices, oak, minerals, dust and dark chocolate. While all of these were noted in day 1 and 2 they are so much more pleasing on the palate on day 3. Does not have that up front oak. 94 points
    Recommendation: Don’t touch these until 2028 and beyond. I could see this drinking well in 2035. (94 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

Great wine and review. I find their Cab to be a solid performer also.

Thanks for the note. An old time producer that doesn’t get mentioned as much now days. Still producing solid wines and I enjoyed their tasting room Lowden when I stopped by a few years ago.

When people say you can’t age Washington State wines I always reference Woodward Canyon.

I will save the other bottle and we can drink it in 2031. [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Their wines are great, you are correct, they need more credit!

1 Like