TN: Meursault + Morgon

DAD’S 70TH - Odette, National Gallery, Singapore (26/11/2021)

• 2014 Domaine Potinet-Ampeau Meursault 1er Cru Les Perrières - France, Burgundy, Côte de Beaune, Meursault 1er Cru
    Lovely. Still young, but this showed off the strength of the 2014 vintage as well as the Perrieres terroir. I liked the nose on this, with its notes of cream and chalk, white fruit and stony mineral. Classic Meursault, classic Perrieres. It was on the palate where the wine really shone though. Weighty and authoritative, yet fresh and lively, with all the cut and thrust of good 2014, this unfolded in the mouth in creamy layers of apple flesh, chalk and butter, and then a lovely lick of mineral and seashell filling the back-palate with quite a bit of power and fullness. Very good indeed. Old school sensibilities, yet with no lack of finesse. Very drinkable now, but with its best window at least a few years ahead yet. Delicious stuff that worked with many of the seafood and creamier dishes that we had. (93 pts.)
  • 2019 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py - France, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Morgon
    Very nice indeed - this was a lovely young Morgon that went beautifully with our food. The nose was very attractive, with notes of red cherries and berries, perfumed florals, and a nice bit of earth, mineral and spice. Very fragrant, very pretty. The palate was a little young, but already very enjoyable, with lovely fresh acidity for a 2019 enlivening nicely authoritative flavours of red berries and darker cherries laced with spice and mineral, all trailing away into a nice finish. Light on its feet, yet with a decent touch of weight. Accessible young, but it will get better over the next decade or so. (92 pts.)

Posted from CellarTracker

1 Like

Thank you for this TN. I received my Côte du Py and Fleurie recently but haven’t checked in on it yet. Looks like I could open one right away. Cheers!

Phil…where is Beaujolais…? [wink.gif]

You are such a “Burghead” Peter [thumbs-up.gif]

Thanks for the link - quite interesting.

I seldom go that far south.

Funny…
I used to say that about Beaune

Yes. To go back more ( in time )…my friends in SAQ often said that I do not know where is MStD. They often needed to remind me that it is between Chambolle and Gevrey. Those were the by-gone days…