TN: 2018 Domaine du Bel Air (Pierre et Rodolphe Gauthier) Bourgueil Les Vingt Lieux Dits

I opened this 13€ bottle expecting it to be a cheap and cheerful, sort of harmless wine well suited for a Tuesday evening. It turned out to be a lot more serious than expected, just like its big brother Les Marsaules. Without knowing how the distribution is in the US I feel like many CF fans would find a lot to like here. I’m yet to taste Grand Mont and Clos Nouveau but safe to say my expectations are high and based on how these two cheaper bottlings are built I have no problem giving them plenty of time in the cellar.

• 2018 Domaine du Bel Air (Pierre et Rodolphe Gauthier) Bourgueil Les Vingt Lieux Dits - France, Loire Valley, Touraine, Bourgueil (25.1.2022)
    Very bright and slightly leafy on the nose with blackberry fruit as dark as midnight, an appropriate amount or capsicum, iron and wet earth. There is this very authentic, unadulterated and unforced feel to it. Youthful for sure, but not at all too fruity. On the palate it is juicy as hell with quite concentrated blackberry-laden fruit that is just about perfectly ripe and very fresh. It has a very respectable tannin structure with a strong grip that demands attention without killing the fun at all. Good length and a kind of mouthwatering finish. No weight to speak of, definitely no baby fat at all, and the overall feel is savory despite the primary fruit. The autumnal style is awfully attractive and the relationship with Les Marsaules is obvious. While it has the fruitiness of your typical bistro Cabernet Franc it is way more serious and intense than the by the glass options you come across on chalk boards anywhere in France.

Posted from CellarTracker

Thanks for the fine note Ikka. I wholeheartedly agree. I’ve worked through 3 of 6 bottles of this already. A terrific wine especially for the tariff. Thanks for sharing.

Just asking, how hard is it to write man’s name right? It is I L K K A, simple as that.

You try writing my name ri… ah… ok. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

For sure, I would almost go as far as say this is a terrific wine regardless of price. With my better half being under the weather after getting her third shot on Monday I have the luxury of enjoying the second half of the bottle today and boy has it only improved overnight. The tannins have become a bit kinder, resulting in a wonderfully smooth, seamless finish and the drinkability has gone through the roof. What I find most special about it is that while there is no brett and the fruit is markedly refined this is in no way soulless or boring.

Sorry for my fat fingers Ilkka. I agree, it’s a terribly impressive wine that punched well above its weight. IMO, the Grand Mont and Clos Nouveau bottlings are superb. (I have only had the 14, 15, and 16 of both of those). I would love to try an older bottling, and I really look forward to trying the 14-16s when they are at peak.

Mikko R: Wow, not sure what to say here, so I won’t.

No worries whatsoever, I’m more than accustomed to non-Finns struggling with my first name. Did you get any natty or mousy notes on the Clos Nouveau bottles you have had?

I wonder why anyone havn’t sssssh’d yet

I almost did on my first post :slight_smile:

Oh, is this one of those producers you are not supposed to talk about? Makes me want to hype the wines all the more :grinning:

[cheers.gif] Yes. And I can both spell your name AND pronounce the double kk correct [cheers.gif]

Impressive [dance-clap.gif]

Can’t wait to come praise the 2014 Clos Nouveau here in 2029 or so and raise some hell neener

I will then NOT praise 2017 Grand Mont Bourgueil
Ssssssh

2 Likes