TN: Two Ryme Reds...(short/boring)

Tasted these two over the last few nights:
1.Ryme Aglianico LunaMattaVnyd/PasoRobles (14.1%) Forestville 2009: Very dark color; intense plummy/blackberry/boysenberry/licorice bit PasoRobles/jammy light toasty/oak/charred some complex nose; lightly tart/tangy some licorice/blackberry/boysenberry slight PR/jammy light toasty/oak somewhat hard/tannic structured bit rustic flavor w/ ample hard tannins; very long rather hard/tannic/rugged/bit rustic strong licorice/boysenberry/blackberry light toasty/oak bit complex finish w/ ample hard tannins; quite attractive nose but pretty hard/rugged on the palate; speaks more of PasoRobles than Aglianico; may never outlive the hard tannins.

1. Ryme CabFranc AlegriaVnyd/RRV (12.6%) 2013: Med.color; some herbal/CF/bit spicy/chocolaty light toasty/oak/smokey some earthy/Loire-like rather complex quite attractive nose; fairly tart/tangy bit earthy/herbal/CF/slight chocolaty light toasty/oak/pencilly/smokey somewhat Loire-like/herbal/earthy some complex flavor w/ modest smooth tannins; very long lightly herbal/CF bit rosemary/thyme/spicy light smokey/oak finish w/ light tannins; developing very nicely & probably near its peak w/ tannins fully resolved; reminds a bit of an earthy/herbal Loire CabFranc but more like a Friuli CabFranc which has less earthiness; quite an interesting/attractive CabFranc & very old-world rather than Calif CabFranc.

A wee BloodyPulpit:

1. The LunaMatta has a lot of interesting mostly Italian stuff planted in it. Alas, it was recently purchased by the Dao folks and will all be replaced by Cab/Merlot because the Italian stuff makes too interesting a wine.
    Tom

Not sure about that.
Sounds exactly like classic aglianico characteristics to me : “Very dark color; intense plummy/blackberry/boysenberry/licorice”… “lightly tart/tangy some licorice/blackberry/boysenberry” … “hard/tannic structured bit rustic flavor w/ ample hard tannins” … “rather hard/tannic/rugged/bit rustic strong licorice/boysenberry/blackberry” … “ample hard tannins” …“pretty hard/rugged on the palate”.

Too bad it wasn’t really purchased by Dao folks… they would have pulled out the Italians and planted Tinto Roriz and Touriga Nacional.
[snort.gif]

Dan Kravitz

Tom,
Your note reminds me that, whenever I think of Ryme or buy their wines, I buy the whites and orange wines. Not that the reds are bad but the whites and skin-fermented stuff is so good . . .
I guess I’ve come to associate them with the non-reds.
Preconceptions at work here.
Best, Jim

Yup, Jim… it’s their whites that I’m particularly fond of. Their reds are good, but don’t stand out.
Tom