New Study Reveals The Relationship Between Drinking Wine And COVID

(just ignore the stuff about how the Mayo clinic says alcohol is bad for you)

More than likely wine has nothing to do with it. It’s probably about financial resources and the ability to do things to avoid COVID that happen to also favor wine drinkers.

4 Likes

Yeah, but how beautiful is to think that is all about the tannins giving you that extra layer of protection [cheers.gif]

Agreed, almost certainly correlation and not causation. It’s funny that people publish this kind of stuff though.

Mayo is much worse for you than alcohol. Talk about glass houses!

7 Likes

Recall the study that showed baldness in males is correlated with heart disease. Of course, baldness in males is correlated with being older. Oh, yeah.

-Al

Yeah, the first thing everyone is taught in statistics, and so the first thing forgotten, is that correlation does not equal causation. It is amazing how many “studies” get published about simple correlation.

let people enjoy things everyone! I like to picture COVID getting stuck in the grippy tannins of a Bordeaux and being unable to get into my airway.

1 Like

Someone linked to a study that beer drinkers have a heightened risk to get Covid. It’s not the bubbles, because Champagne drinkers are also less likely (but not by quite as much as red wine drinkers).

-Al

Don’t wreck it! [cheers.gif] [cheers.gif]

1 Like

Next thing you know, one of you kill joys will tell me there’s no Santa Claus!

Does that include the Two Buck Chuck Drinkers! [snort.gif]

Those are those bud light drinkers!

People forget that in academia, you have to publish stuff to earn your living. These are the laziest kinds of studies to publish, and conversely get the most publicity. Look, here we are talking about it on a wine board. That is why you get the “wine is bad for your heart/wine is good for your heart” studies all the time. Many of the data sets are from self-reported questionnaires or from big insurance data bases. At best they suggest areas that should be researched in a more detailed way with smaller controlled groups with measurable outcomes and variables. Generally, they are clickbait. The scientific version of trolling. I simply delete these “studies” keeping in mind that overall increased exposure to alcohol over time is correlated with increasing deaths. Yes, in fact, older people are positively correlated with increased risk of dying and morbidity as compared to younger people.

My favorite study was done in Boston? IIRC that was done with a group of college students. It established that after a few drinks, college individuals rated attractiveness of members of the opposite sex more highly as compared to when they were sober. Yes beer goggles are a real thing…and the study was published. [cheers.gif]

I think we all know that alcohol is bad for us, so anything else new?