Bedrock Spring Release - Tuesday Feb. 8, 2022

This producer deserves their own thread!

Save some money

“We are writing to let you know that the Spring 2022 Bedrock Release is coming up on Tuesday, February 8, 2022.

Those who have not yet placed an order will receive the first-come, first-served Waiting List Release on Wednesday, February 16.

This release includes our first wines from the lovely but tiny 2021 vintage— what might be our favorite Ode to Lulu to date and the Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc. It also includes wines from 2019 and 2020, including a follow up to the “Wedding Cuvee,” aka, a super-cuvee of our favorite barrels from 2019. In addition, there will be our first varietal Carignan from Evangelho Vineyard, a tiny amount of Enz Cabernet Pfeffer along with stalwarts like 2020 Limerick Lane Zin, 2020 Papera Heritage Wine, 2020 Nervo Ranch Heritage. As always, one of our most diverse releases and a nice reminder that rosé and white wine weather will return!

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at (707) 343-1478 or orders@bedrockwineco.com.

Best,
Morgan and Chris”

2 Likes

I like and take advantage of the fact that I can buy multiple cases of LuLu, the perfect sunny day, porch/deck wine.

Any advice for a Bedrock newbie? I bought a mixed case off the waiting list in December so I believe I’ll get to participate in this release. Haven’t had any before December and realizing I need help on where to start.

From the December release I’ve opened a couple so far but also see the feedback here that a lot of these wines need time. I tried a California Syrah and thought it was delicious, especially for the price. Opened a zin and thought it was good but didn’t knock my socks off, maybe too early.

Which Zin?

2020 Heritage Pato. If it helps I’ve been a longtime zin drinker, mostly Ridge and Turley. Lately been cutting back on the Turleys and shifting more to Pinot and other lighter/more balanced wine styles. Although Ridge zins always seem to be a consistent and constant favorite.

1 Like

Pato is one that really does need a few years to loosen up.

1 Like

there are a few of the vineyard wines that are better for earlier drinking. Esola is one I tend to like early, and Evangelho is one I like at any point… although all of them are good for the long haul. in general though, wines like Cali Syrah, Cali Cab, OVZ, Lulu, etc are good short term wines while you wait for the vineyard designates to come around. they also give a really good idea of style, are affordable, and delicious.

2 Likes

Yep, OVZ is a great Bedrock cellar defender. They help me keep my hands off most Heritage wines, which are just getting better and better.

Honestly, I feel that Bedrock sells all their wines a year early, and trust their buyers to be patient. I manage fine now, but it was tough the first few years on the list!

So far, I think 2010 (zins) is the only vintage that needs drinking, and others here believe that vintage will keep going, too.

3 Likes

Definitely give the heritage wines more time than that. When I started buying Bedrock I started cracking the heritage wines really early and felt underwhelmed as well, and stopped buying. Then a few years later I opened a few … and regretted my choices. :slight_smile:

That said, if you are going to drink early, Evangelho is what I’d pick.

(As a side note, don’t sleep on the single vineyard Syrahs…)

2 Likes

I’ll throw a plug in for the Rose as well. If you like a zippy Provence style rose I find it to be a real winner at a reasonable price point and prefer it vs most peers. I’ve only been on the list a couple of years and haven’t cracked my best bottles (mostly haven’t :slight_smile:)but this gives me confidence that their better stuff is solid.

1 Like

Per Bedrock’s Winter 2021 Release notes, the 2020 “Pato Vyd red wine includes a greater proportion of Mourvèdre, though less Petite Sirah, compared with prior vintages.

Turley’sDuarte Vyd” Zinfandel and Bedrock’sPato Vyd” red wine include Zinfandel fruit from the “Mori Vyd”, a 5 1/2-acre block of vines planted in the 1940s a few yards northwest of the “Pato Vineyard” (planted c.1896). Both the “Mori” and “Pato” vineyards are owned by Contra Costa Water District.

Generally speaking, wines from this Contra Costa County site often are full-bodied (with the exception of perhaps Fine Disregard’s vineyard-designated Mataro).

Bedrock Wine Conversations podcast:
“Episode #24 - 2021 Winter Release”
November 7, 2021

50:51: 2020 “Pato Vineyard” Heritage Wine

Historic Vineyard Society profile: “Pato Vineyard”

Agreed on both points. I’ve thought since getting on the inaugural list that they release one year too early, but as a start up winery, I totally understand why they needed the early infusion of money. The onus is definitely on us do use patience, which is often difficult with these delicious wines. That Bedrock OV Zin is the perfect for California wines. And frankly, on release, it generally shows better than the heritage wines.

I am excited that the Bedrock crew have decided to create anotherWedding Cuvee” from Sonoma Valley’s heavyweights.

The “Evangelho Vyd” Carignan is intriguing, to be certain, but it reminds me of a particular Bedrock Instagram post:

“Start of Carignan harvest at ‘Evangelho’. Picking historically light crop for ourselves, Ridge, Neyers and Desire Lines. Not sure if a lot of these vines will make another year without some winter rainfall as we have had less than 5” the last two winters combined. Precious bounty to be sure.”

I suppose that the “Enz Vyd” Cab Pfeffer will be available in miniscule quantities.

I have heard tremendous things about the Sonoma Valley Sauvignon Blanc.

Finally, it’s a bold move for the son of Mr. “No Wimpy Wines” to bottle a WHITE ZIN!

Sorry for the thread drift, but have you opened a 2010 Pagani recently? Been eyeing those lately but its been a bit since I’ve checked in.

Last time I had one was April 2020. It was fantastic on PnP but I noted that I felt it had plenty of time left. I have one left. Think I will wait at least another year to open it.

Awesome Steve - thank you! I’ll plan to do the same. [cheers.gif]

Hopefully this version is less allocated… I couldn’t even get a bottle last release

1 Like

Has anyone opened at 2018 Wedrock yet?

I have one bottle so don’t have the luxury of checking in. I’ll certainly grab one of those if offered to complement the rose and SB I usually buy from this release.

Which one is the white zin?

Ha, duplicate WedRock post…